Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
I found that it helped me to stop listening to my mother's critical voice in my head.

It also helps to stop letting critical people into your life at all. Just walk away from them. Life is too short to deal with people who have more problems than you do.
I cannot lie so I don't hate to "tap the sign" once again. Attachment issues. Yo' mamma had em' bad and, sadly, passed em' on to you. Same damn thing happened to me!

I don't know what triggered it but me own mum has recently and suddenly started to reveal things to me that, well, confirm my suspicions. She's the type of LSE that's weakest to Rakes if you know about the works of Robbert Greene. A "Virtuous" woman. Devoutly Christian. Yet she fell hard for the modern equivalents of Richelieu and Don Juan. She was no whore, but the few men she actually allowed herself to get fucked by fit the profile.

I digress. The question you must ask is why people you interact with are getting critical. If someone is honestly criticizing you it's because they actually care. A truly warm and loving parent doesn't scold you because they get some sadistic pleasure out of it. They do it because they truly want what's best for you. I'll also note the "scolding" likely won't involve wagging fingers and beatings but rather hugs and headpats. Little kids are remarkably manipulative little shits. Best thing you can do for them is to scold them for their manipulations and instead show them how persuasion is so much better...