Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTP
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    I'm more of the opinion that the rapist gets one last chance. Repent of thy sin (in the truest sense of the term) and rape no more, or die.
    The rule of justice is this: there is no law against your first transgression. You're free to break any law you want the first time. Then it is the job of the justice system to ensure you don't get a second time.
    (My name is Yon Yonson,
    I live in Wisconsin.
    I work in a lumber yard there.
    The people I meet as
    I walk down the street,
    They say "Hello!"
    I say "Hello!"
    They say "What's your name?"
    I say: (My name is Yon Yonson...

All posts licensed under the GNU General Public License. Some rights reserved.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanJumpingBean View Post
    The rule of justice is this: there is no law against your first transgression. You're free to break any law you want the first time. Then it is the job of the justice system to ensure you don't get a second time.
    From the perspective of a finite being you are absolutely correct. From the perspective of the infinite you are not.

This is the thing I was getting at when I mentioned that it's not only OK but actually a heartfelt act of mercy to kill the unrepentant sinner. The etymology of Penitentiary/Prison reveals the deeply Christian character of the concept and where I'm coming from on this front.

In your system (please correct me if I'm misinterpreting), you just up and kill the criminal Judge Dredd style. The "guilty" sure as fuck don't get a second chance to commit a crime if they die as a result of the first. If they land/physically end up in an Iso-Cube for life it's a distinction without any real difference I'd say.

The Christian character is revealed in what is ostensibly hoped for in the ideal prison system. The criminal/sinner reforms, repents, and sins no more. No matter how horrific the sin, no matter how joyfully they engaged in that initial transgression, they can still repent and be saved from eternal damnation. God can and will forgive any sin if you truly repent. Many a saint is blatantly guilty of heinous sins. My favorite example is Saint Paul. Paul gleefully killed many a faithful Christain in his heyday. Yet after that experience on the road to Damascus many have argued Christianity never would have gotten off the ground long term without his efforts in the evangelization of the faith he once so ardently and effectively persecuted.

This is the key weakness and my primary objection to pretty much any left-wing ideology/position (Pro-Choice being one of them). They truly don't have a mechanism for forgiveness/repentance. At least, not one that doesn't end in the "assisted" suicide of the guilty and that's more a mechanism of praising the murderer of that individual over their ultimately infinitely inadequate attempts to repent of a "sin" that was no fault of their own.

Don't believe me on this? Look at what mainstream Social Media has to say about Clarence Thomas right now in the left-wing spheres of it. If I put "Ketanji Brown" in the place of "Clarence Thomas" and otherwise quoted their posts word for word I'd be in jail for hate crimes or worse within the hour.

Don't tell me I'm wrong. We all know I'm right about that. Hence why I won't dare do so even in obvious jest.

Basically, the true job of the ideal justice system is to help criminals realize how and why they fucked up and committed the crime and instill in them how they could, would, and will be much happier if they instead followed virtue over vice.

If we adopted your own absolute finite view of justice we'd all be dead. After all, it is not hyperbole to say that most everyone in a modern Western State is in fact guilty of committing 3 felonies a day. All felons must die by your view it seems so it follows that we all must die for BS reasons.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your views but let's just say you wouldn't be the first to... not think it all the way through as it were.
    Last edited by End; 07-02-2022 at 05:16 AM.