Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ipbanned View Post
    I agree with this, which is why I feel this is more an issue of indifference than genuine bad intentions in the sense Adam mentions (though maybe I am naive). It kinda gets to me when American liberals act like the "other side" is acting out of ill will (well, to be precise, they do sometimes, ie gerrymandering but that's more partisanship gone way too far than about any kind of political positions). I feel like liberals are always confused by the positions of conservatives, and in turn accuse them of acting out of evil, which is odd to me. That said, I'm not defending the ruling, but I also feel uncomfortable with the way political discourse has become so toxic due to these growing misunderstandings.
    To a person who wants to treat other people as property, they don’t think that their attitudes are “bad intentions”. They think that their attitudes are restoring the universe to it’s rightful position, hence why you get so many references from them of “God’s will.”

Remember, 98% of humans first decide what they believe, and then they find reasons which support their beliefs. Any reasons will do. They don’t have to actually make sense or be true.

Other people’s differing opinions in these areas simply don’t matter, because they are “right”. In fact, people who disagree with them are not entitled to have opinions.

Test this yourself some time. If they are so interested in promoting “life”, ask them if they support unlimited child care for the poor, to prevent early and preventable childhood deaths?

Just ask them. Get them to sign their name to a petition.

My parents were staunch Republicans all their lives, although my LSE mother fully believed in women’s rights (because she felt the restrictions on women in her own life; no empathy required).
    They always railed against “those people” who took government handouts and “wouldn’t work.”
    When my father got eye surgery, his military benefits paid for it. He showed me the bill for $50,000 and gleefully told me “Not a penny! I didn’t have to pay a cent!”
    ”Dad”, I said, “isn’t that a free handout from the government? You always told us never to take government handouts. I think you should give that money back.”
    That shut him up pretty fast.

In Conservative World, there are “the people who deserve whatever they can get”, and “the people who don’t deserve to have any rights”. I know. I lived with these assholes all my life.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 06-25-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    To a person who wants to treat other people as property, they don’t think that their attitudes are “bad intentions”. They think that their attitudes are restoring the universe to it’s rightful position, hence why you get so many references from them of “God’s will.”

Remember, 98% of humans first decide what they believe, and then they find reasons which support their beliefs. Any reasons will do. They don’t have to actually make sense or be true.

Other people’s differing opinions in these areas simply don’t matter, because they are “right”. In fact, people who disagree with them are not entitled to have opinions.

Test this yourself some time. If they are so interested in promoting “life”, ask them if they support unlimited child care for the poor, to prevent early and preventable childhood deaths?

Just ask them. Get them to sign their name to a petition.

My parents were staunch Republicans all their lives, although my LSE mother fully believed in women’s rights (because she felt the restrictions on women in her own life; no empathy required).
    They always railed against “those people” who took government handouts and “wouldn’t work.”
    When my father got eye surgery, his military benefits paid for it. He showed me the bill for $50,000 and gleefully told me “Not a penny! I didn’t have to pay a cent!”
    ”Dad”, I said, “isn’t that a free handout from the government? You always told us never to take government handouts. I think you should give that money back.”
    That shut him up pretty fast.

In Conservative World, there are “the people who deserve whatever they can get”, and “the people who don’t deserve to have any rights”. I know. I lived with these assholes all my life.
    I think you're generalizing alot here.

First, when you say "treat women as property", it reminds me of the legal and social status of women in certain countries such as India, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, etc, where women's rights are clearly taken away from them and the intent of men to "own" women is not even hidden. But that isn't the case of American conservative men - generally speaking.

Second, while I agree with you that many American conservatives have a "meritocratic" attitude towards poor people having access to many things they (the poor) need, I don't think this is the same as "seeing people as property". It's still shitty, but not the same.

Also, for "these assholes", "rights" is often understood to mean negative rights, ie what the government can't stop you from doing - people who "deserve whatever they can get" are getting it because they are entrepeneurs (or seen that way) and this corresponds to the "American dream". The idea of the billionaire coming up from nothing is a myth of course (which doesn't mean that it never happens, by "myth" I mean something different than "fiction"), and poorer conservatives vote against their interests when they vote Republican or Libertarian (though that isn't to say they necessarily vote for their interests when they Democrat, either), hoping it will give them the freedom to become the next libertarian entreperneur (or something to that effect), which is actually very unlikely.

I agree that people first attach themselves to an idea emotionally, then come up with reasons, in fact everyone does this and it's human. Usually, we find an idea attractive, then seek out reasons. But it can also be the opposite - we reason that a certain position is wrong or inconsistent and then find it repulsive. Also sometimes people need to see certain realities for themselves to become repelled by said realities. Seeing how employers treated employees shocked me out of my libertarian sentiments, for example. I don't think conservatives are worse than anyone else in this sense, they're human beings like you and me.
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs