Thread: Nonverbal Socionics Test

Hybrid View

TIM
    ILI-H
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI (which is not accurate, Xelor be damned). I'd be interested in knowing what value is being affected by which choice, because I can't for the life of me figure out what the men with the boats are meant to determine.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sudo View Post
    LSI (which is not accurate, Xelor be damned). I'd be interested in knowing what value is being affected by which choice, because I can't for the life of me figure out what the men with the boats are meant to determine.
    The inaccuracy of this test just illustrates the problems with doing predictive analysis without accurate feedback from past experiences.

I'm sure that "the men in the boats" meant something to the person who devised the test, but what that might have been is left to speculation.

Sort of like me referring to my cousin Beth and, of course, what she specifically means to me should be intrinsically divined by everyone else.

The most impressively accurate test I ever took was one which was intended to identify radicals in the incoming classes to the University of Michigan. It was billed as a "personality" test, but what it really was looking for was anyone who would cause trouble for the University.

The way it worked was it asked you about 500 random questions, none of which were specific to personality or politics. Questions like, "Do you like cooked carrots, or raw?" "Do you take stairs one at a time, or two at a time?"

Individually, the questions told you nothing important about a person. It was the pattern by which you answered them that the testers could correlate with other, known people, some of whom were agitators. They could say that "this person answered 87% of the questions exactly like these other troublemakers."
    And it worked.
    A friend of mine found my files one day and told me that they predicted that I wouldn't finish school, and I nearly didn't. It took five years, but I got a degree.
    It said other things about me, but I've forgotten most of them. The testers gave us results for five or so psychological categories, but the test actually had about forty results.

I've always admired this approach, although it requires continuous refinement and updating of the questions as the culture changes.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-02-2022 at 06:35 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    The inaccuracy of this test just illustrates the problems with doing predictive analysis without accurate feedback from past experiences.

I'm sure that "the men in the boats" meant something to the person who devised the test, but what that might have been is left to speculation.

Sort of like me referring to my cousin Beth and, of course, what she specifically means to me should be intrinsically divined by everyone else.

The most impressively accurate test I ever took was one which was intended to identify radicals in the incoming classes to the University of Michigan. It was billed as a "personality" test, but what it really was looking for was anyone who would cause trouble for the University.

The way it worked was it asked you about 500 random questions, none of which were specific to personality or politics. Questions like, "Do you like cooked carrots, or raw?" "Do you take stairs one at a time, or two at a time?"

Individually, the questions told you nothing important about a person. It was the pattern by which you answered them that the testers could correlate with other, known people, some of whom were agitators. They could say that "this person answered 87% of the questions exactly like these other troublemakers."
    And it worked.
    A friend of mine found my files one day and told me that they predicted that I wouldn't finish school, and I nearly didn't. It took five years, but I got a degree.
    It said other things about me, but I've forgotten most of them. The testers gave us results for five or so psychological categories, but the test actually had about forty results.

I've always admired this approach, although it requires continuous refinement and updating of the questions as the culture changes.
    Yeah this is the way most personality science is done. Let the data speak, don't impose a model on the data. If you have a model and the data doesn't correspond either your experiment was bad or your model was.

Banned
    TIM
    ILI-DC™
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sudo View Post
    Bro, just accept it. You can be an LSI leather daddy.