Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Emotions

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When a task is too demanding, we lose concentration and get frustrated.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surprise, amazement, bewilderment <--> confusion ... This is probably not an emotion.

surprise <--> shock ... This is directly related to fear and the startle response.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excitement and fear: maximize pleasure (reward) and minimize pain (punishment)

love and hate: praise and blame

happiness and sadness: an optimistic outlook (feeling free) and a pessimistic outlook (feeling trapped)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If an object causes pain (or a lack of pleasure) then we get frustrated.

If a person causes pain (or a lack of pleasure) then we feel hate.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic emotions are so basic. I only have compound-complex emotions, like joie de vivré, schadenfreude, toska, kilig, hiraeth, saudade, and merak.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert Plutchik thought awe was a combination of surprise and fear. But it is possible to explain emotions such as awe and reverence without surprise.

"an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures."

"Reverence involves a humbling of the self in respectful recognition of something perceived to be greater than the self"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiration

"Sara Algoe and Jonathan Haidt include admiration in the category of other-praising emotions, alongside awe, elevation, and gratitude."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an optimistic outlook (feeling free) and a pessimistic outlook (feeling trapped)
    1. euphoria and depression <--> opioids, endocannabinoids, orexin, dopamine

2. happiness and sadness <--> CARE and PANIC/separation ... oxytocin etc (see post #47)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happiness <--> meaningfulness

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excitement and fear <--> serotonin 1 and dopamine

euphoria and depression <--> serotonin 2 and dopamine

(?)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PANIC/separation (distress, grief) = a lack of CARE
    2. happiness and sadness <--> CARE and PANIC/separation
    love = CARE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happiness

1. achieving long-term goals, satisfaction, meaningfulness

2. social hierarchy (laughing), feeling valuable to others ... i.e. a social emotion

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer 'gloominess' over 'depression' since the latter is a mental disorder.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excitement, interest: approach

fear: avoid

euphoria: solve problems ---> gain

gloominess: lose

love/CARE: care

anger (hate, frustration): defend, destroy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    I am trying to find out what causes anger/frustration. Social/sexual dominance, blame, an attack (approach), an obstacle and goal-blockage are mentioned in this thread. I am suggesting that a lack of concentration could be a factor as well.
    Oh yes like the prefrontal cortex no longer works to inhibit the raw limbic stuff (as far as lack of concentration)

Anyways I see anger as, like, the emotion for aggression and assertive, forceful vitality. So from that, all the things you've listed will follow easily.

PS. I'm no neuroscientist, so take everything I say in this thread with a grain of salt when it comes to the brain stuff

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.paulekman.com/universal-...t-is-surprise/

"Some emotion scholars do not consider surprise to be an emotion because they say it is neither pleasant nor unpleasant, claiming that all emotions must be one or the other. Many emotions experts, including Dr. Paul Ekman, disagree with this stance, noting that surprise feels like an emotion to most people; in the moment or two before we figure out what is occurring, before we switch to another emotion or no emotion, surprise itself can feel good or bad."

"Whereas surprise is an emotion, startle is a physical reflex. Startle has an even more constrained timing than surprise: the startle expression becomes apparent in 1/4 of second and it’s over in 1/2 second. While being told about a surprise beforehand can eliminate feeling surprise, no one can inhibit the startle reaction. Being warned that you will be startled by a loud noise may reduce, but won’t eliminate, its expression. Conversely, you can't be surprised if you know what's going to happen.

Startle also shows an exact opposite expression as the surprise expression. In startle, our eyes are closed tightly, brows lower, and our lips are stretched tensely.

In surprise, our eyes are wide open, eyebrows are raised, and jaws drop open."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surprise_(emotion)

"It has been suggested that surprise is an envelope term for both the startle response and also disbelief. More recent research shows that raising of the eyebrows does provide facial feedback to disbelief but not to the startle."

------

If surprise is an emotion then epiphany should also be an emotion.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habenula

"It is one of the few areas known to influence virtually all monoaminergic systems in the brainstem, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin."

https://www.frontiersin.org/research...atric-symptoms

"This Research Topic aims to broaden the understanding of the role of the habenula in the numerous psychiatric disorders themselves and in the neuropsychiatric symptoms (e.g. agitation, anxiety, apathy, cognitive inflexibility, hallucinations, depression, disinhibition, eating disturbances, euphoria, sleep disturbances) frequently encountered in the context of other disorders. Combining the expertise of both clinical as well as pre-clinical researchers will deepen our understanding of the importance of the habenula and open new exciting avenues for potential clinical intervention."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gloominess = a lack of euphoria

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread always tickles me. "Basic Emotions" - *nosedives into neurology*

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reward...ing_and_liking

"The wanting component is thought to be controlled by dopaminergic pathways, whereas the liking component is thought to be controlled by opiate-benzodiazepine systems."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26070759/

"People use party drugs as a shortcut to euphoria."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3454351/

"For example, co-users report seeking BZD prescriptions for the purpose of enhancing opioid intoxication or “high” "

------

liking <--> euphoria (?)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

"Anhedonia is a diverse array of deficits in hedonic function, including reduced motivation or ability to experience pleasure."

"anhedonia is a component of depressive disorders"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disgust could be the opposite of euphoria (i.e. liking).

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A show based on Paul Ekman's work once said that disgust was the strongest expression of hate. For context, the show is called "Lie To Me," and it's about micro expressions. That's why they didn't include behaviors and actions, such as murder.

Not sure what my personal stance on that statement is, just thought I'd regurgitate something I heard.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2008-07565-001

"Differences between males and females in reported and physiological disgust responses (heart rate, electrodermal activity, salivary cortisol, secretory immunoglobulin A) were tested by analysis of variance."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... or anguish, distress

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/02/...-love-circuit/

In humans, there are four tiny areas of the brain that some researchers say form a circuit of love. Acevedo, who works at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, is part of a team that has isolated those regions with the unromantic names of ventral tegmental area (VTA), the nucleus accumbens, the ventral pallidum and raphe nucleus.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...t-first-sight/

“We are also studying how the hormone oxytocin – which is known to create parent-offspring bonds and pair bonds – facilitates the communication between all these brain areas to make your partner, friend or colleague a pleasure to be with,” he says.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/02/...-love-circuit/

In humans, there are four tiny areas of the brain that some researchers say form a circuit of love. Acevedo, who works at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, is part of a team that has isolated those regions with the unromantic names of ventral tegmental area (VTA), the nucleus accumbens, the ventral pallidum and raphe nucleus.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...t-first-sight/

“We are also studying how the hormone oxytocin – which is known to create parent-offspring bonds and pair bonds – facilitates the communication between all these brain areas to make your partner, friend or colleague a pleasure to be with,” he says.
    Circuit of love sounds like some kind of attempt at a love song.

Circuit of love
    Beep bop
    Oxytocin
    High on our self's drugs
    The human circuit of love
    I'll pair-bond your raphe nucleus
    I'm mingling in your ventral tegmental area
    I'm tying up your nucleus accumbens
    I'm the paladin of the ventral pallidum
    Facilitating brain communication
    The human circuit of love
    Partner friend or colleague
    A pleasure to be with
    Waves of oxytocin
    We study animal magnetism
    The electro-chemical circuit of love
    Beep boop
    Circuit of love

I didn't bother reading the articles, though I'll probably skim it if I get bored, but if I get bored, shame on me, because only boring people get bored. These people still haven't read the latest research from MIT and I'm not interested in idle speculation using the old model of the brain. Don't they know electricity syncronizes the brain, not individual neurons? Show me the transistors in the circuit of love please.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...e_love_hormone

"In 2012, researchers reported that people in the first stages of romantic attachment had higher levels of oxytocin, compared with non-attached single people. These levels persisted for at least 6 months."

"One review of research into oxytocin states that the hormone’s impact on “pro-social behaviors” and emotional responses contributes to relaxation, trust, and psychological stability."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b.../what-is-trust

The psychological alternative that trust is a feeling of confidence and security is much more plausible than behavioral, probabilistic, and philosophical views. But it leaves unspecified the nature of this feeling. My forthcoming book, Mind-Society, proposes that trust is a brain process that binds representations of self, other, situation, and emotion into a special pattern of neural firing called a semantic pointer. Emotions like trust and love are neural patterns that combine representations of the situation that the emotion is about, appraisals of the relevance of the situation to goals, perceptions of physiological changes, and (sometimes) representations of the self that is having the emotion.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...017.00356/full

Oxytocin (OT) and vasopressin (VP) are ancient peptide molecules with many behavioral and physiological functions. These pleotropic peptides evolved from a single genetic source (1). OT and VP, with their receptors, function as an integrated, adaptive system, allowing the mammalian body to survive, maintain homeostasis, and reproduce in an ever-changing world. However, OT- and VP-like molecules were co-opted for other functions many times over the course of evolution (2).

Vasopressin is considered the more ancient molecule, with a central role in defense. OT, especially in a context of safety, may override the defensive functions of VP helping to facilitate the evolution of the complex cognition and selective sociality associated with human behavior, including social attachment and love (3, 4) (Figure 1).

oxytocin and vasopressin.jpg

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 basic emotions

excitement (future)

happiness, euphoria (past: praise ... a positive event and an improvement is possible, hopefulness)

satisfaction, thankfulness (past: praise ... a positive event and an improvement is not possible, hopelessness)

fear (future)

sadness, gloominess (past: blame ... a negative event and an improvement is not possible, hopelessness)

anger (past: blame ... a negative event and an improvement is possible, hopefulness)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

satisfaction, thankfulness ... or love, CARE (?)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://emotionsblog.history.qmul.ac...as-of-disgust/

"Just last year, I was sat with a non-English work colleague discussing my research. When I suggested that disgust was an emotion, she looked confused. To her, disgust was not an emotion at all, but a description of a bodily function, like hunger. Another non-English academic, Neuroscientist Jaak Panksepp, seems to agree with my colleague. Judith Toronchuk and George Ellis wrote a paper suggesting that Disgust should be one of his basic emotion systems. Panksepp asked ‘why not include hunger, thirst, fatigue and many other affective states of the body as emotions?’ The notion that disgust is an emotion, basic or otherwise, seems to be lost in translation."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...otional_system

"We argue in this paper for the inclusion in the primary emotional systems enumerated by Panksepp of a neural system that organises disgust responses. The DISGUST system arose phylogenetically in response to danger to the internal milieu from pathogens and their toxic products. We suggest that the primitive emotive circuit, which originally provided defence by regulating consummatory behaviours, gave rise to a primary emotional system that facilitates evaluation of reinforcers. Unlike the sensory affect of distaste from which it is experimentally dissociable, disgust responses can involve flexible learned components triggered by several modalities. The anterior insula is implicated as playing a major role in the DISGUST system both in organising disgust responses in the individual and recognising disgust responses in others."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 basic emotions

excitement (future)

satisfaction, liking (past ... a positive event)

happiness, euphoria (past and future ... a positive event and an improvement is possible, hopefulness)

love, CARE, trust, thankfulness (past ... praise)

fear (future)

dissatisfaction, disgust (past ... a negative event)

sadness, gloominess (past and future ... a negative event and an improvement is not possible, hopelessness)

anger (past ... blame)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

minimal excitement = boredom (stop approaching an object ... surprise is not needed)

zero excitement or fear = indifference (no emotions)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2000-05098-005

"This article documents the neglect of love in many contemporary emotion theories, despite its prominence in the lay psychology of emotion. The authors argue that love should be considered a basic emotion, like anger, sadness, happiness, and fear. They discuss the criteria that various theorists use to distinguish basic from non-basic emotions and marshal arguments and evidence from a variety of sources suggesting that love fits the criteria for basicness. It is concluded that a number of controversies over the status of love can be resolved by distinguishing between the momentary surge form of love, a basic emotion having properties similar to joy, sadness, fear, etc, and relational love, a bond that develops between people, associated with states that include not only surge love, but many other emotions such as distress and anxiety. Finally, it is suggested that "love" is the broad, everyday name for emotions related to 3 interrelated behavioral systems discussed by J. Bowlby (1979): attachment, caregiving, and sex. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2020 APA, all rights reserved)"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excitement: he expects a positive event

liking, enjoyment: a positive event (now)

disappointment (dopamine decreases): not a positive event

fear: he expects a negative event

disgust, distress: a negative event (now)

relief (dopamine decreases): not a negative event

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the nucleus accumbens and dopamine <--> basic emotions in post #119

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://blog.neuromendcenter.com/you...never-heard-of

"Your habenula, sometimes referred to as the “Anti-reward System”, is a tiny area in the middle of your brain positioned between the thalamus and the stalk of the pineal gland.

The habenula regulates nearby reward areas and helps us to learn from actions made throughout our lives."

"Scientists believe that the lateral sub-region of our habenula plays a much larger role in the symptoms of depression, as well as other illnesses, than previously thought.

It is a major relay center between our fore-brain and hind-brain that dictates how we interpret the outside world and its stimuli. The habenula plays a key role in how we interpret emotions, motivations, and rewards."

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast