Thread: The Ukraine Question

Threaded View

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone interested in cybersecurity, the coming days, years, or possibly decades could keep you busy.

If you're interested in analyzing international electronic warfare, I suggest building a honeynet (and learning some network security in the process, although it won't be trivial if you don't have a high level of computer proficiency). A honeynet masquerades as a legitimate but weakly-secured server to would-be attackers. Once it's infected, you can examine what the hacker is doing.

I set one up a year ago. And within literally thirty minutes, my honeynet was infected with a virus whose origin was a Chinese IP address. It was a real piece of work: executing multiple copies of itself at once, self-replicating in case of deletion, and using the names of other installed programs to appear inconspicuous. It set up a DDoS botnet that targeted some government-owned websites. My country was having a diplomatic spat with China at the time because it had arrested an important Chinese businesswoman.

Or, your honeynet could become Dropbox for some pedophilia ring. So be careful!

EDIT: And do take the appropriate legal precautions.

EDIT #2: In my case, I used a firewall that blocked it from executing its DDoS attack.
    Last edited by xerx; 03-14-2022 at 01:36 AM.