Thread: What do you think of Cancel Culture?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so….Hot take don’t think cancel culture is horrible DEPENDING ON THE INDIVIDUAL.

Cancel culture usually involves a person in media or a high power position person. I think if they do immoral shit, they should be kicked out. Like Sexual assault, abuse, stealing etc…. They should be canceled. They can still live a normal life but I do not want them having any influence with the public on them. They lost that.

However, there is a difference between a person who did something stupid, made a mistake, and is trying to move past it. People fuck up. People make mistakes. I’m not going to cancel someone who fucks up like a normal human. I don’t think That’s fair but accountability is needed to some degree. I don’t people should be ostracized for cancel culture but I don’t want to encourage shitty behaviour as well.

I do think cancel culture has gotten a bit too far. Though, a lot of shitty people who did deserve to get canceled have been fine in the long run and are still in the Spotlight and influencing others. Jeffery Star and Trisha Paytas are a good example. They have been cancelled but people still watch, comment, and make money off their horrible behaviour and antics. They are not changing.

I think everyone deserves the roam to make mistakes, grow, and learn. Especially in the public spotlight because that is embarrassing and extremely hard. BUT, there is a difference between human error and continuous immoral actions that have and will continue to hurt others.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to a slower, less monopolized Internet, with thousands of small social media platforms, would help to alleviate cancel culture, and breaking up the large social media monopolies is basically the first step towards that goal. But I don't know of a fair way to implement a 'Wild West' model like that.

Stopping social media company mergers is an obvious first step, but does it go far enough?

For each platform, would we need to limit the # of posts per day and/or limit the # of users online at any given time? That doesn't sound very practical.

We could hold large platforms legally responsible for what their users say. It would incentivize them to remove a lot of slanderous content and misinformation, and that would incentivize their user base to post controversial opinions on smaller social media platforms. These smaller platforms would have to be immune from getting sued, for obvious reasons. Would that be fair? I don't know.

Honestly, I don't see a resolution until one side wins the culture war (esp. the question of religion, race and immigration, and sexual politics), which is what's generating all this back-and-forth vitriol, and which is what's driving this back-and-forth canceling / accusations of canceling / victimization about being allegedly canceled. The Internet itself, as a technology, may only be an amplifier (a rather selective one) that gets an unfair amount of blame.
    Last edited by xerx; 11-12-2021 at 05:08 AM. Reason: a few words