Thread: What do you think of Cancel Culture?

Hybrid View

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao only responses so far are from non-alphas.

But why don't I add to the chaos, I think people are free to ignore or boycott whomever or whatever they want for any reason. I think calls for others to boycott on social media is a little harder to accept. I think pushing to get someone fired from their job because they believe or said things you don't like is a step too far and a little disgusting, but even this can have exceptions.

So idk what to believe and it really doesn't matter because I'm not alpha lol. I want to hear from them too.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    I think people are free to ignore or boycott whomever or whatever they want for any reason.
    Even if those reasons are false and based on deception?

I think it gives covert narcissists — which tend to be at the forefront of social media (since they are more motivated to gain the validation from it) — too much power. Covert narcs tend to manipulate to weaponize groups in that way.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Even if those reasons are false and based on deception?

I think it gives covert narcissists — which tend to be at the forefront of social media (since they are more motivated to gain the validation from it) — too much power. Covert narcs tend to manipulate to weaponize groups in that way.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the line would be in each situation. But I can't really support forcing people to consume media or products that they don't want. I think there should be processes that discourage coordinating efforts to create animosity against people and companies on social media though. But even then I don't know how this could be properly policed without the potential for abuse.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure where the line would be in each situation. But I can't really support forcing people to consume media or products that they don't want. I think there should be processes that discourage coordinating efforts to create animosity against people and companies on social media though. But even then I don't know how this could be properly policed without the potential for abuse.
    I think Cancel Culture pertains more to shaming/condemning others who listen to/support media they do want, tbh. If people simply didn't want them, they just wouldn't be popular or well known anyway.