Hakuna Matata and the cycle of Samsara godslave's Avatar
    TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Attachment can be changed though and that's the point he's made with all his work. You have to believe it can be for it to be possible of course. A true, hardcore narcissist or sociopath probably can't conceive of ever thinking differently about themselves or others and thus cannot make the change. I call them "the lost" for a reason. Can't change em'. They don't want to change!
    Yes indeed, it can be changed in theory (or should I say theories ?). I was referring to how the average Jane and Joe tend to conceptualize it and that contributes to the popularity of the Theory. This pretty much reflects my humble opinion on the Attachment Theory :

Watching this video put in perspective how similar in position Bowlby and Jung are in the sense that their original work have been used as basis for further development (like MBTI and Socionics are allegedly of Jungian influence). We can see similar issues and confusions induced by the fact of using the same nomenclature for different references both in Attachment theory and Jungian Typology. We can also see some striking similarities between Attachment Theories and Enneagram.

Also can't avoid people putting other people into boxes once you get beyond Dunbar's Number. Human brains can only really "know" around 150 people. Beyond that into the box they go. Have to. Brain can't work otherwise.
    Now, I was vaguely aware of the Dunbar number but for some reason it didn't stick in my mind. You brought it back in a very insightful way and that actually made me rethink stuff. Thanks, I'm impressed !

Edit : However.... ‘Dunbar's number’ deconstructed

As for Internet and Social Media turning everything into a cult like movement, well, you can ultimately blame Edward Bernays and his work on marketing. Attention=money and there are ways you can get people to pay attention to you and alter their perceptions on many topics. Once you understand him you understand the modern world. Our "elite" are in many ways the disciples of Mr. Bernays and it shows as they (and by extension our society) constantly try to mindfuck us into doing what they want. If you know how the mindfucking works you're immune to it and it just pisses you off every time you see it (which is all the time because it's everywhere). Sadly, John Q. Normie doesn't do research and the Public School system never even mentions him in the history books despite being the father of modern mass marketing and propaganda. They know not of him and his work, and so his techniques remain frighteningly effective against the average person.
    Again, that name (and his face after I googled it !) does ring a bell and I only remembered it after seeing his face (I'm very bad with people's names)). I think I am indeed immune to that kind of bs. I have some simple principles that protect me from a lot of the Marketing mindtricks like "Never buy something anybody is trying to sell you", "Never answer the phone if the number is unknown", "Never open the door to strangers (unless it's the Police or Firefighters/EMT paramedics)" last but not least : "The answer is No !"

It makes one pine for the good old days of direct violent threats. Do as the King says or get stabbed. Anyway if you're interested in the man responsible for the mass brainwashing machine we're currently suffering under here's part 1 of a documentary series I found to contain all the really important bits. It's a good starting point for this line of inquiry:

I will watch later, that seems very interesting indeed. Thank you very much for your time.
    Last edited by godslave; 05-24-2024 at 04:29 AM.
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets