Thread: My Latest Insight: What Defines your Personality is what Separates you from Everyone Else

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Latest Insight: What Defines your Personality is what Separates you from Everyone Else

If you look at this society, there are a lot of things people enjoy en masse:

- food
    - money
    - relationships
    - sports
    - even certain ethical beliefs

Someone can love food, but if this is not some unique skill or interest that separates them from most people, then I would say that this is not a big part of one's 'personality.' I look at myself: I love food and sports. With food, it is just something satisfying to consume. With sports, this is usually the case as well. Other than a few things that I do differently from other people, this does not separate me from anyone else.

How am I different? I love nostalgia. I like looking back at the 1990s to see what society was like at that time. This is very different from other people. It could be a key personality trait that I have - e.g., Ni/Si/Fi. I also love reading books on philosophy and science. I especially love getting deep into the psychology and philosophy of various scientists/philosophers to see how they think and what their big ideas are/were. This is not an interest that people usually have. I am also quite shy socially.

On the other hand, I don't like movie villains and other such types of people. I feel that this is like almost everyone else. The people who don't feel this way therefore have something different about their personality that most people do not share. The correct answer is not that most people are 'Delta,' 'not Beta', etc. The answer is that the masses tend not to like such villains, and the people who don't mind them or who commit such acts are therefore different.

Therefore, if you want to understand your personality, look at what you do differently from others. What separates you from everyone else? What special gifts do you have? What do you do that is especially different from other people? For instance, if you don't move with the masses on any one of the examples at the top of the post, this is something different about you from others and this therefore applies to your personality.

I believe that understanding this is the key to grasping your personality type...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You claim that any of stable psyche traits (personality) opposes to interests of all other people. It's nonsense.
    People are predisposed to make groups and do not live separated. Their psyche is mostly directed to be joined in cooperation with other people with usefulness for both.
    It's common for abnormal psyche traits - disorders, what separates from other people and makes harder to cooperate with them for mutual usefulness.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As human beings we have lots of things in common. For example, sexuality is a big part of most peoples personality. You can't say that it is less important just because others have it too. In psychology everything is about the individual and traits might be common or not so common. Doesn't matter, only thing that matters is the individual and his wholeness. From the point of view of the individual everything is important, not just his unique traits but also things that he has in common with other fellow human beings.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    You claim that any of stable psyche traits (personality) opposes to interests of all other people. It's nonsense.
    People are predisposed to make groups and do not live separated. Their psyche is mostly directed to be joined in cooperation with other people with usefulness for both.
    It's common for abnormal psyche traits - disorders, what separates from other people and makes harder to cooperate with them for mutual usefulness.
    I read this the other day. I had to give it a lot of thought. Some deep thoughts here. Maybe even profound. You're right - people are nothing without cooperation. This is a society built around it. Therefore, people tend to behave in a similar way. This then gets ingrained in their personality. This changed everything I thought up. You mopped the floor with me - but in a good way, because you made me think and think hard...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People often question Sol, as most of what he writes is nonsense, but sometimes out of nowhere he shows this sensitivity and these deep, deep thoughts come pouring out like a flash flood. It is at exactly those times that I feel compelled to respond.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    If you look at this society, there are a lot of things people enjoy en masse:

- food
    - money
    - relationships
    - sports

Someone can love food, but if this is not some unique skill or interest that separates them from most people, then I would say that this is not a big part of one's 'personality.' I look at myself: I love food and sports. With food, it is just something satisfying to consume. With sports, this is usually the case as well. Other than a few things that I do differently from other people, this does not separate me from anyone else.
    I wouldn't hesitate to describe my LIE friend as "loving food" because, well, she does! To me, it's just as much a part of her personality as "likes doodling caricatures of her friends" is.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to describe my LIE friend as "loving food" because, well, she does! To me, it's just as much a part of her personality as "likes doodling caricatures of her friends" is.
    Exactly!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

- food
    - money
    - relationships
    - sports
    I only like one of those things. That first thing you said. I don't care much for any of those other things to be honest. I definitely don't like sports haha.

Ideally I want to like relationships. I want to in theory just be romantic and faggy with a guy and look into his eyes under the stars. Men going our own way- with each other. But in reality I'm probably too selfish and grumpy to have a real relationship.

I'm a feeler type so I'm kinda naturally drawn to the ethical side of things as well- but I'd rather somebody help me with practical/logical things than preach to me about morals. I feel like I know best with that area anyway and it's probably encroaching too much on my territory.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anything in my personality separates me from anyone else. I guess from my point of view, anything that I say defines me, there's at least one person in world who probably has that same thing that defines them.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome