Thread: How do you Use Business Logic?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't it just mean that you have no interest in it, not that you have a fundamental inability to do so?

It's not like people are somehow magically "born" with certain understanding of something, without actually learning about it first. Everyone has to learn.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Doesn't it just mean that you have no interest in it, not that you have a fundamental inability to do so?

It's not like people are somehow magically "born" with certain understanding of something, without actually learning about it first. Everyone has to learn.
    I'm not sure I have the ability either. I remember in high school when I co-oped at a bank as a teller. Unlike the other tellers there, I just could not pick it up; I struggled with everything from basic input, to miscounting change and having to stay late over and over. However, today, I do some small time bookkeeping for my dad's accounting firm. While I can perform basic bookkeeping, I struggle with it. I look at it like computer code and the way I do it is almost backwards to the people who do bookkeeping for a living. Compare this to high school, when I couldn't even understand the concept of paying a bill through one's bank account, then I'd say I've come a long way, but I still do not have a basic aptitude for business tasks..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before that experience, I might have even valued business logic: I dreamed of being a big-time CEO or accountant. I even did well in high school business classes, but my performance at that bank was so poor, it sent me running for the hills away from business. I then went into computer science in university and I did fine. (The only fear is that CS in university is not like CS in industry and it's just right back to square one - i.e., the same thing as the bank...)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Before that experience, I might have even valued business logic: I dreamed of being a big-time CEO or accountant. I even did well in high school business classes, but my performance at that bank was so poor, it sent me running for the hills away from business. I then went into computer science in university and I did fine. (The only fear is that CS in university is not like CS in industry and it's just right back to square one - i.e., the same thing as the bank...)
    @jason_m, that's why I've always tried to get the job first, then the education.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @jason_m, that's why I've always tried to get the job first, then the education.
    I know what you mean. In computer science, the opportunity came up for taking co-op, but I simply balked at the idea - "All the rudimentary tasks they would force on me, plus I don't get my summers off." And then there is the fear that it is just like high school co-op all over again. I also assumed the work just follows from the schooling. But man, did I lose out on learning what real computing is like, and therefore valuable experience I could have used in planning my career. The stupid, lazy attitude I had therefore screwed me over...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I think I read in one of your posts that you went to the University of Michigan. I worry you might have heard of the school I went to, and I'm almost afraid to tell you what school it is...

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I think I read in one of your posts that you went to the University of Michigan as well. I worry you might have heard of the school, and I'm almost afraid to tell you what school it is...
    No problem. I'm not school-proud. To be honest, I barely made it out alive.