Thread: The Most Preposterous Notion in Socionics

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

F-rationalization is based on relative values; one's choice has the higher value. Value is a rather subjective term: a petite, sexy figure quickly loses its value when a strong back is desperately needed. Value indicates a rating of some sort which usually involves context, and in some cases, could be based on a whim or first impression -a liking that could change tomorrow. Some things have values that are absolute so won't change while the value of things around them will. In many contexts, F-rationalizations are far more valid than T-rationalizations.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just that you're unable to come up with a decision without emotions

How Only Being Able to Use Logic to Make Decisions Destroyed a Man’s Life

What was even more confounding is that Elliot could think up lots of options for a decision. When given assignments of assessing ethics (like whether or not to steal something for his family, Les Miserables–style), business (like whether to buy or sell a stock), or social goals (like making friends in a new neighborhood), he did great. But, even with all the idea generation, he could not choose effectively, or choose at all. “I began to think that the cold-bloodedness of Elliot’s reasoning prevented him from assigning different values to different options,” Damasio writes, “and made his decision-making landscape hopelessly flat.”
    If "T types" were as emotionless as it is claimed, then it would contradict the discovery that a man who lost his ability to feel emotions were unable to make any decisions at all. It also doesn't have much to do with the ability to understand ethics. Which would suggest that ethics can be rationally understood.

So things like "Like/love" and "Dislike/hate" seem to put ranked orders of values on things. We are attracted to things that we like, we make choices based on things that we like or feel good about. It's just not really clear how those choices are being made by our feelings. Why do we pick choice A over choice B? Why do we choose person A over B?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post

So things like "Like/love" and "Dislike/hate" seem to put ranked orders of values on things. We are attracted to things that we like, we make choices based on things that we like or feel good about. It's just not really clear how those choices are being made by our feelings. Why do we pick choice A over choice B? Why do we choose person A over B?
    That was what I was trying to say originally. In my case, I often prefer one thing to another because it makes more logical sense in some way. For instance, I used to love the 1980s, and this was a logical choice because of all the innovative stuff that came out in that decade. I remember watching a CNN documentary on computers in 'The Eighties' series, and man was that decade innovative wrt technology and computers. I.e., the 1980s fit my quadra values very well in some ways, and hence why I liked it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    That was what I was trying to say originally. In my case, I often prefer one thing to another because it makes more logical sense in some way. For instance, I used to love the 1980s, and this was a logical choice because of all the innovative stuff that came out in that decade. I remember watching a CNN documentary on computers in 'The Eighties' series, and man was that decade innovative wrt technology and computers. I.e., the 1980s fit my quadra values very well in some ways, and hence why I liked it.
    Here is the episode: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u63wu. (I know the technology looks old, but think of how new this was compared to what came out before, and how much was coming out compared to prior decades... i.e. it was 'ahead of its time.')