Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
this is basically the gist of my a large part of my griping about socionics over the years - the idea that logical types are ultimately uninfluenced by such animalistic things as personal preference (that by no means influence their naturally objective views of the world) and the subsequent denial of human nature.

I've no doubt that some people think this way, but it really flies in the face of typology's Jungian roots. Not being aware of personal preferences doesn't mean they're non-existent; it means you have no conscious control over them.

Jung writes:

No function can be entirely eliminated -- it can only be greatly distorted. In so far as feelings allow themselves to be arbitrarily shaped and subordinated, they have to support the intellectual conscious attitude and adapt themselves to its aims. Only to a certain degree, however, is this possible; a part of the feeling remains insubordinate, and therefore must be repressed. Should the repression succeed, it disappears from consciousness and proceeds to unfold a subconscious activity, which runs counter to conscious aims, even producing effects whose causation is a complete enigma to the individual. For example, conscious altruism, often of an extremely high order, may be crossed by a secret self-seeking, of which the individual is wholly unaware, and which impresses intrinsically unselfish actions with the stamp of selfishness.
There's a lot more in Psychological Types, but you get the drift.