Threaded View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    Sorry I'm not a gamma, but my youngest sister (LIE) is and she's graduating high school in June even though she's only 16. She's very timely with her homework, attentive in class, and is very particular about her friends. She's very kind and supportive of her close friends, but doesn't seem to have any tolerance for drama she deems to be silly. She is very quick to point out if a homework assignment or some element of the curriculum is dumb and doesn't have an apparent purpose. I remember her writing this big long letter to the district last year she asked me to help her proofread explaining how poor the mandatory online portion of the health curriculum was in her opinion. She's very driven and loves to talk about how she's definitely going to make more money than her husband someday. She loves listening to successful people share their stories and has her heart set on being a CEO someday.

In general she is very interested in anything business and finance related, but doesn't like spending large amounts of time on homework she feels won't benefit her and she is quick to share her feelings about exactly how it won't benefit her. She does it anyways though if she can't get her way since she is very serious about maintaining a 4.0
    @AWellArmedCat, buy the book Further Up the Organization by Robert Townsend, and give it to her.

It's the only business book that an LIE will ever need. Everything else is hot air, self-aggrandizement, or bullshit by some dimwit who got lucky but thinks he invented language.

If she needs to learn about depreciation of assets or the time value of money, she can either look to more specialized books or (my choice) hire someone to do that stuff, but as for general business books, that's the One.

A word of caution. The book was written at a time when three-Martini lunches were the norm, and computers filled a room, and secretaries were all women and women were all secretaries. Nevertheless, if you can get beyond that, the book has no equal.

One other thing: If you decide to read the book yourself, don't be surprised if you disagree with much of what Townsend says. I have a dog-eared copy of the book in my hands right now, which I bought second or third hand from a used bookseller. It is filled with hand-written notes, stating the reader's disagreements with the author's advice. That reader was clearly not LIE.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 10-22-2021 at 05:40 PM.