Thread: 'Scientific Skill' and Personality

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Oh God no. Even animals and plants in the same species have different potentials. This post really sums up what is wrong with the entire "human positivity movement". That is not to say people shouldn't try, but you are saying everyone has the potential "if only x factors".

Its like talent is a thing, for instance.
    We're not talking about animals and plants. It has nothing to do with "human positivity movement" and you're just having a knee-jerk reaction.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    We're not talking about animals and plants. It has nothing to do with "human positivity movement" and you're just having a knee-jerk reaction.
    Not at all I think I'm actually following a better fit to what is real as opposed to your concept that we are all coming to the table with the same hardware and if only the software, upbringing, eduction, what have you, was just the same, we would all have equality of some outcome.

Insane type thinking. I mean its a nice ideal and should be pursued and applied to give us the best chance, but its not real.

We are also animals btw. This is one of the true implications of atheism. We are a species of great ape. We are expressions of the same principles seen in plants and animals, that some individuals are different due to a myriad of circumstances, some before conception, and some situational, and they can't be changed and they can't be otherwise. Not even in principle.

Cue neural plasticity and epigenetic type counter arguments.

To me the true equality lies in the realm of conscious awareness, where all being equal, the thing is perception itself, no matter what is being perceived.

But no, absolutely not. You are not going to turn Jimmy wong, 5'8 into 6'7 Micheal Jordan. Or fetal alcohol Joe Bob into Albert Einstein.

Nothing is created equal. Only created, period. This is the reason God is the ultimate redemption, because there can never be a mathematical equation for the observer, its outside.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Not at all I think I'm actually following a better fit to what is real as opposed to your concept that we are all coming to the table with the same hardware and if only the software, upbringing, eduction, what have you, was just the same, we would all have equality of some outcome.
    We are all Turing complete (minus the infinite memory), which means that we are able to compute anything that is ever computable in this universe.

Imagine that Einstein is giving someone step-by-step, minutely detailed instructions on how to understand his theory. His instructions are so detailed that all you have to do is to connect the simplest of dots between A → B. If for any reason that you have trouble understanding how to connect the dots, then he will break it down even further so that it will become logically simpler. If you start to "forget" the line of thought because the things to memorize have become too large and overwhelming, then he will tell you to refer to a specific note that is archived somewhere. All you have to do is to read that note, and then simply go back to following the instruction.

That is basically what a programming is, it's about giving instructions to a computer on how to perform a task. It only breaks down if for whatever reason that you are unable to connect the dots betwee A → B.

We are able to "implicitly" understand each other, because we have more or less the same software. People who are able to easily understand Einstein's theory are simply (correctly) guessing what the hell Einstein is trying to say via his theory. It makes no difference whether you require more or less detailed instructions on how to understand his theory, if in the end you understood it all the same.