Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    Most of these people at the time weren't really sincerely religious, this includes H!tler, Mussolini and Stalin. They seemed to think in terms of Darwinism, science and creating a "new man", survival of the fittest and the will to life were at the forefront of thought at the time. Stalin was raised as orthodox Christian, however he was like any materialist communist. H!tler didn't attend mass and like Mussolini being a Catholic was advantageous, however their own personal thoughts on the matter seem to favor emerging science and atheism. They way I see it was in the Catholic church's best interest to play along and hope to survive. At the time it was probably the best move considering what happened to Orthodox Christianity in Russia.

not that it matters much now since the religion is screwed since Vatican II. The new Pope might as well be a protestant liberal. The moment atheist liberals around me started saying "I like this new pope.." I knew shit was fucked.
    Stalin wrote privately of his belief in God, so it is likely he had a sincere belief in God:
    http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki..._an_atheist%3F

Darwin thought nature was cruel, not something to be imitated.

The way I see it, is that you are judged on your actions. If you don't act when it matters, then in what sense are you surviving?

I think Catholicism was "fucked" when it condoned genocide, feudalism, slavery, imperialism etc.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Stalin wrote privately of his belief in God, so it is likely he had a sincere belief in God:
    http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki..._an_atheist%3F
    thats interesting a religious man leading atheists who are hellbent on eradicating religion.

Darwin thought nature was cruel, not something to be imitated.
    Other people obviously thought differently.

The way I see it, is that you are judged on your actions. If you don't act when it matters, then in what sense are you surviving?
    Those who survive and spread their genes are strong. The way they survive is irrelevant, only surviving long enough to spread counts. Being moral is something else. It can be a good strategy tho.

I think Catholicism was "fucked" when it condoned genocide, feudalism, slavery, imperialism etc.
    Ok. By that measure any religion including the absence of it, aka atheism is "fucked". Except Jainism.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Those who survive and spread their genes are strong. The way they survive is irrelevant, only surviving long enough to spread counts. Being moral is something else. It can be a good strategy tho.
    That depends purely on whether or not you have that view.

Ok. By that measure any religion including the absence of it, aka atheism is "fucked". Except Jainism.
    Atheism is simply a lack of belief in the existence of gods. It does not include any tenets about what to condone or condemn.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in the existence of gods. It does not include any tenets about what to condone or condemn.
    >) yet people with those ideas in their heads committed genocide, were fascist & communist leaders. Groups of atheists tortured and killed people en masse all in the name of atheism and hatred for religion. Get off your moral high horse lmao, what a joke.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

>) yet people with those ideas in their heads committed genocide, were fascist & communist leaders. Groups of atheists tortured and killed people en masse all in the name of atheism and hatred for religion. Get off your moral high horse lmao, what a joke.
    A lack of belief in something is not an idea, but a lack of belief.

Belief or disbelief in gods has no bearing on committing genocide.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lack of belief in something is not an idea, but a lack of belief.

Belief or disbelief in gods has no bearing on committing genocide.
    ¬‿¬ excuses, just accept the fact that man is a beast, a potential abomination which will use any excuse even his disbelief in gods as a shield for the horrors he wishes to enact upon other living things in the name of his ideals or lust for power.

One cannot be a Marxist Communist for example and a theist, the communist manifesto prohibits it and even modern day Marxists refuse to accept anyone into their ranks (but are allowed to cooperate with) who is anything other than a materialist atheist due to religion supporting the ruling class, which is why they seek to dismantle any religion by force of violence.

The result in Russia alone was that 21 million people died in repression, persecution and “terror famines” after 1917, including 106,000 Orthodox clergy shot during the 1937-8 Great Purge. A total of 422 Catholic priests were executed, murdered or tortured to death during the period, along with 962 monks, nuns and laypeople, while all but two of the Catholic Church's 1240 places of worship were forcibly turned into shops, warehouses, farm buildings and public toilets.

I remember the day my father walked me into Church for the first time as a kid, because the Romanian government forbid religious practice, so I was baptized only at an older age due to state sanctioned persecution of the religious at the time.

As a backlash to these events people in Russia and former soviet satellite states are highly religious. Personally I find it difficult to care about religion and am technically an atheist myself mainly out of disinterest and lack of faith.. ^^ but I'm not dumb enough to rationalize away the historical violence committed by materialist atheists.
    Last edited by SGF; 04-16-2021 at 04:19 AM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

¬‿¬ excuses, just accept the fact that man is a beast, a potential abomination which will use any excuse even his disbelief in gods as a shield for the horrors he wishes to enact upon other living things in the name of his ideals or lust for power.

One cannot be a Marxist Communist for example and a theist, the communist manifesto prohibits it and even modern day Marxists refuse to accept anyone into their ranks (but are allowed to cooperate with) who is anything other than a materialist atheist due to religion supporting the ruling class, which is why they seek to dismantle any religion by force of violence.

The result in Russia alone was that 21 million people died in repression, persecution and “terror famines” after 1917, including 106,000 Orthodox clergy shot during the 1937-8 Great Purge. A total of 422 Catholic priests were executed, murdered or tortured to death during the period, along with 962 monks, nuns and laypeople, while all but two of the Catholic Church's 1240 places of worship were forcibly turned into shops, warehouses, farm buildings and public toilets.

I remember the day my father walked me into Church for the first time as a kid, because the Romanian government forbid religious practice, so I was baptized only at an older age due to state sanctioned persecution of the religious at the time.

As a backlash to these events people in Russia and former soviet satellite states are highly religious. Personally I find it difficult to care about religion and am technically an atheist myself mainly out of disinterest and lack of faith.. ^^ but I'm not dumb enough to rationalize away the historical violence committed by materialist atheists.
    Stalin was a Marxist Communist and a theist. It seems that it was organized religion he especially objected to.

One reason I could not follow the god of the bible is because I am opposed to genocide and torture.

Christianity has historically been a monotheistic religion that has been very violent and intolerant against those who think differently, even against those who also call themselves Christians.