Thread: What's the solution to atomization?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    This happens most of the time because the father is stupid and irresponsible (or maybe both of them are). But it's not like being a single mother is an inherently terrible thing. What if the other parent is a terrible person? Wouldn't having him/her at home just make things worse for the kids? I'd say it's a factor that women have more freedom now and can leave their spouses if they want to. And people can now easily break off relationships that don't serve them. Over time we are slowly breaking down barriers that limit us because we now know better.
    Yeah, the alternative to divorce sounds much worse. But, children really do need both parents.

One solution would be to force the ex-couple to live close to each other. Preplanning of that magnitude would no doubt require a stupendous amount of city zoning / economic engineering, however.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Yeah, the alternative to divorce sounds much worse. But, children really do need both parents.

One solution would be to force the ex-couple to live close to each other. Preplanning of that magnitude would no doubt require a stupendous amount of city zoning / economic engineering, however.
    Maybe people’s understanding of marriage should change. I think many people expect to find their soulmate and leave if there are problems rather than understand it as a commitment. So if problems come up they find it less effort to just leave rather than do whatever they can to repair the relationship.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Maybe people’s understanding of marriage should change. I think many people expect to find their soulmate and leave if there are problems rather than understand it as a commitment. So if problems come up they find it less effort to just leave rather than do whatever they can to repair the relationship.
    Maybe, I don't know. If religious folks capable of sustaining large families inherit the world, I guess that's one way.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Maybe, I don't know. If religious folks capable of sustaining large families inherit the world, I guess that's one way.
    The amish population doubles every 20 years: http://groups.etown.edu/amishstudies...-profile-2020/

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    The amish population doubles every 20 years: http://groups.etown.edu/amishstudies...-profile-2020/
    https://youtu.be/yK3oWQfb_2M