Hybrid View

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Subteigh, Does your Luther research include the Grzegorz Braun documentary? It's an eye-opener. Probably not the rosy picture you have.

Did you learn about indulgences from a Catholic source, or from an anti-Catholic source? A Catechism is easy to get ahold of. Yes, there were abuses. Jesus had a Judas, and we have many. The Church continually needs reforms. Do you know what a Doctor of the Church is?

You wrote:

" I also do not want to give the Catholic God the illusion of respectability".
    I see.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    @Subteigh, Does your Luther research include the Grzegorz Braun documentary? It's an eye-opener. Probably not the rosy picture you have.

Did you learn about indulgences from a Catholic source, or from an anti-Catholic source? A Catechism is easy to get ahold of. Yes, there were abuses. Jesus had a Judas, and we have many. The Church continually needs reforms. Do you know what a Doctor of the Church is?
    He's not my Luther. He was still a Christian fundamentalist who had a nasty side, for example, being anti-Semitic, but the Catholic Church has made worse people saints.

The indulgences were carried out by the papacy. Are you saying that God put these people in place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    You wrote:

I see.
    I don't.