Quote Originally Posted by Chin Diaper 007 View Post
Heh Gulenko's cognitive styles describe academic text booky material as causal deterministic. That said it tends look bit too clear to me. One LII commented my writing: your writing style reminds me of academic papers.
Yeah, I guess I always had the habit of looking too far into what I'm learning and then getting really confused and feeling like I'm just memorizing stuff to get by, but not really learning. I suppose if I just take it for what it is, it would be easy. But I don't think my mind is satisfied with that.

I actually had an engineering class where the professor said not to try and understand the material because even he couldn't (and he was PHD with tenure); suffice to say that everyone failed that class, but he had to grade on a curve so a majority passed anyway. I stopped going halfway out of lack of interest and retook the class another time, but it didn't seem to help much. In reflection after university, I've been really interested in quantum physics and how it related to electrical engineering and now it all makes a very intuitive sense. I wish I had the wisdom to spend time working and studying things on my own and maybe going to university later; it would have been a breeze.
Now I realize there is a huge disconnect in academia where they focus on teaching formulaic understanding (causal deterministic?) over trying to represent a whole picture of things to students, which I just "need" for some reason or I don't know what decisions to take because my mind can't truly rest; sometimes I think academics are afraid to present theories or conceptualizations that might not be completely right because society and academia seems to like punishing people for being wrong. So we just get the pure formulas and if someone is really good at reading between the formulas/lines, then they are "genius" and if they do some science breakthroughs maybe some of their intuition becomes accepted theory. It's like society wants people to be just smart enough and just stupid enough, but nothing more or less. It's really...uninspiring? I think the human race could be soooo much better than we are, but I suppose it can't really happen, if society doesn't actually value that.
Or maybe I'm wrong about everything. But it doesn't seem so.