Quote Originally Posted by peteronfireee View Post
While Si is not memory, I believe Si is tied to memory;

Si is the subjective impression made after absorbing info via the fives senses, which can manifest as a memory.

Nostalgia is simply having happy personal associations with the past.

I think depending on your type and how you value Si (and since all types engage some Si), memories can manifest in different ways,

For example:

--Se valuing SEE may not think too much about past, preferring the present
--Ni valuing ILI may be critical of the past, deeming it non-meaningful
--Si PoLR ENFj may have a harder capacity to remember their past impressions

So how do you guys think about your memories and nostalgia?
I only learned recently that some people don't have sensory imagination. I asked one dude about something related to dreams and he said he didn't have any sensory based dreams. They were all abstractions..I think the dude's type was LIE. I think that sort of thing is called aphantasia.

But I have a pretty strong sensory memory for where things are at well as a good general sense if direction. I can often find my way on the open road just by using that. It's like an internal compass that sticks in one direction that I can use to orient myself. I've missed turns and found alternate routes just by using it before. Dunno how special that is.

As far as how I can use my sensory memory, it's fallible of course, but I pretty much have all 5 senses there. I can reconstruct a place I've visited in my imagination and draw a relative map of it. If I've walked through a place before, I can do it again in my head.

I'm not all that nostalgic for the past in general, because my life has often been happier post-18 than before. There are a few shining moments though that stick out and I remember positively.