Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: acknowledging the ignoring function

  1. #1
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    the bootie
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default acknowledging the ignoring function

    this is the function that never gets any mention and seems to lack completely from one's analysis of a type, as if it didn't exist... but we know it's there, it's even strong, and some say our memories get formed in this function...

    your take? uses? misuses? how does it work? what does it look like? what does it do? why are we all ignoring it?

  2. #2
    Consilience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I seem to mostly use Fi when I am in a bad depressive funk or stressed out a lot. I have strong opinions on things but they tend to fluctuate depending on the audience, situation, circumstance. When push comes to shove, I have to engage Fi to figure out what I truly believe and value, as an individual, and how I can be more accepting of other people's individuality and quirks.

  3. #3
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    the bootie
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thank you @Consi

    btw, my questions arise from Model G too, I mean that in Gulenko's DCNH system you can have an accentuation of your 7th and 5th element (ignoring and suggestive) but normally socionics say that these functions are particularly impossible to use, the prolonged use of the ignoring infact should be exhausting/boring/ in direct conflict with our ego function...

    so im particularly interested in this idea, about how can such functions take a particular lead in one's psyche, if they can

  4. #4
    My feelings are stronger than this belly ache Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    Extroverted
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My memories are crappy, so my ignoring must be non-existent basically
    I see potential relationships everywhere

    If I could ask for anything impossible, that would definitely to talk to every human being ever born

  5. #5
    My feelings are stronger than this belly ache Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Your mind
    TIM
    Extroverted
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The idea of ID excites me, 'cause it opens my mind to the possibility of having influence over other aspects of life, or a different approach to problems that broadens my limited view of my Ego.
    I see potential relationships everywhere

    If I could ask for anything impossible, that would definitely to talk to every human being ever born

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,587
    Mentioned
    1152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    this is the function that never gets any mention and seems to lack completely from one's analysis of a type, as if it didn't exist... but we know it's there, it's even strong
    Deserving a trust theory for typing is dichotomies, strenght and value of functions, IR what is enough to undestand a type. The other of model A is more muddy and more doubtful.

    Strong valued functions are more expressed and noticable so they are more used for typing, than strong nonvlalued. But to say that strong nonvalued are not used is wrong. If someone shows good skills in any of E/I variant of a function - this is taken as argument for that function as strong, what is important to undersand a type.
    Also there is a problem with strong nonvalued functions. They are strong as a potential, but people may use them worse due to lower interest and to have worse skills. Not becuase they can't, but more do not want be good there and have no high interest for there. You may meet even a limited behavior below social norms in nonvalued strong regions. If someone is bad in a known concrete behavior in a region - this may follow not from a weakness, but from nonvaluing.
    For example, Se types may cook not good (bad Si related taste) - as it's ok for them "as is", not because they can't distinguish good tastes or think manual cooking work as hard.

    > some say our memories get formed in this function...

    memories are formed by all functions

    > why are we all ignoring it?

    It's misleading term for a strong function as consciousness controls good those regions. As it's nonvalued - means people do not want to care much about that. Strong nonvalued regions are kept close to "needed levels" of social norms.

    With your IEI type you do not have high interest to understand and take into account people's Ne traits alike motivations, but you may. A behavior of Ne type would be more affected by "how it's better to deal with him" - would had more variations with different people. You may understand the similar about those people, but would not used in similar degree - as it's not valued and lesser interesting for you.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  7. #7
    thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,249
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The one that should be "completely" absent is the vulnerable function, not the ignoring function. The ignoring function is strong after all. I see it as something we primarily use quietly, for ourselves, as opposed to manifesting it externally and pushing others to focus on it.

  8. #8
    DrDonkeyBallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,334
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I'm using ignoring (Te) in public, I honestly feel like a dirty car salesman. Or, I'm walking to the grocery store and I have some fake tits that I'm sporting but everyone in the vegetable aisle give me a quick glance and know that they are fake.

    But it's necessary to survive - and especially to navigate the social sphere. Some examples from my life:

    --Even though I don't fully believe in wearing COVID masks, I wear them anyway and pretend like I'm scared because "Te" (Tribal reasoning) tells me so
    --When I'm with a group of friends & family I need to remember to holdback my true opinions (Ti) and instead ape the ones everyone else has, because A(my opinion) will lead to B (people getting triggered).
    --Citing evidence and studies that seem arbitrary to me
    --Follow stupid protocols and procedures that are just dumb to me

    On the bright side of things, since people are so predictable in a Te way, I am able to dismantle petty arguments and can disengage from stupid fights pretty easily since I've seen the process so many times.
    Last edited by DrDonkeyBallz; 12-16-2020 at 02:41 AM.

  9. #9
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    9,536
    Mentioned
    1025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peteronfireee View Post
    When I'm using ignoring (Te) in public, I honestly feel like a dirty car salesman. Or, I'm walking to the grocery store and I have some fake tits that I'm sporting but everyone in the vegetable aisle give me a quick glance and know that they are fake.

    But it's necessary to survive - especially to navigate the social sphere. Some examples from my life:

    --Even though I don't fully believe in wearing COVID masks, I wear them anyway and pretend like I'm scared because "Te" (Tribal reasoning) tells me so
    --When I'm with a group of friends & family I need to remember to holdback my true opinions (Ti) and instead ape the ones everyone else has, because A(my opinion) will lead to B (people getting triggered).
    --Citing evidence and studies that seem arbitrary to me
    --Follow stupid protocols and procedures that are just dumb to me

    On the bright side of things, since people are so predictable in a Te way, I am able to dismantle petty arguments and can disengage from stupid fights pretty easily since I've seen the process so many times.
    Wait a minute. How do you know that people in the grocery store know that your fake tits are fake? Maybe they are just thinking about how their sister is a bitch?

  10. #10
    a two horned unicorn renegade Chin Diaper 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On a toilet, right above you
    TIM
    mb ILE-H LEVF
    Posts
    6,035
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is like creative but you do not do much transformative work with it as it is closer to informative and it has overlapping parts.
    Uncertified public verbal executioner of ESI. Tickets will be available soon.
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  11. #11
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,085
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    this is the function that never gets any mention and seems to lack completely from one's analysis of a type, as if it didn't exist... but we know it's there, it's even strong, and some say our memories get formed in this function...

    your take? uses? misuses? how does it work? what does it look like? what does it do? why are we all ignoring it?
    SLI here. Se ignoring. I tend to ignore social status. It pisses off Ni egos because at the end of the day they all want someone to fluff their egos.

  12. #12
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    the bootie
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    SLI here. Se ignoring. I tend to ignore social status. It pisses off Ni egos because at the end of the day they all want someone to fluff their egos.
    Se = social status?

  13. #13
    DrDonkeyBallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,334
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Wait a minute. How do you know that people in the grocery store know that your fake tits are fake? Maybe they are just thinking about how their sister is a bitch?
    They gave off Strange vibes

  14. #14
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,085
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    Se = social status?
    In a sense, yes. If you want to see a take on what happens when Se isn't done right, look at Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. ESI caricature there. They'll call it respect, but it's really respect for and belief in a person's status. Showing deference due to a person of a certain station, etc.

  15. #15
    Consilience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    thank you @Consi

    btw, my questions arise from Model G too, I mean that in Gulenko's DCNH system you can have an accentuation of your 7th and 5th element (ignoring and suggestive) but normally socionics say that these functions are particularly impossible to use, the prolonged use of the ignoring infact should be exhausting/boring/ in direct conflict with our ego function...

    so im particularly interested in this idea, about how can such functions take a particular lead in one's psyche, if they can
    Ahhh interesting. For me at least, I was forced to use Fi some because I am overrun by Fi valuers in my real life. They don't take kindly to "broad strokes" generalized statements about people and "should" statements so I adapted to using a lot more "I" statements. Having to use disclaimers on nearly everything you say gets old fast.

    Even with typology, people, especially Fi valuers, would get pissy with me, if I said broad-sweeping statements about types and people... Hence my overuse of anecdotes.

  16. #16
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    the bootie
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thinking out loud, the theory of dimensionality says that the functions are paired vertically in the Model A: reinforced base comes with strengthened accepting functions, reinforced creative strengthens all the producing functions. sooo... 1th and 7th go hand in hand, as someone said (in a recent thread about the ignoring function that I ignored -hi @Chocolatee!-), they're two faces of the same coin. but because we primarily use the ego functions, and particularly the base, how can we enhance the 7th/ignoring so much to make it become a special quirk aka a subtype... this has me wondering.

    I remember reading in this forum that the ignoring was the one deputed to the storage of memories, I think this idea has some validity if we read the Model A as a little representation of the brain. where do we store memories? in the unconscious. is memory an important part of our makeup? surely is. do we tend to overlook/ ignore our processes of memory making? indeed we do..

    as an accepting function, whose role is to gather data as it is, unfiltered (or with that perception, because memories are surely biased too), I think this analysis is fitting for the ignoring... also, it being the other side of the base main "accepting" filter, probably it would be interesting to investigate the ignoring taking into account the way our memories operate, maybe we'd find that our awaken perceptions are in a stark contrast to our unconscious mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •