♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asd View Post
    if he is encouraging the riot, which included things like chanting “hang Mike Pence,” going in there to take hostages, killing and general hostility towards police officers, killing of one protestor, and so - and despite that, he encouraged it, I think it is okay to “cancel” him, at least as far as social media companies go
    Yes, but what about all the violence in the BLM riots that the democrats encouraged? Why aren’t they being held accountable for that? Eh, I feel like this is a war on free speech.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Yes, but what about all the violence in the BLM riots that the democrats encouraged? Why aren’t they being held accountable for that? Eh, I feel like this is a war on free speech.
    I don't think there is any ill-intent on your part, but this is called whatabout-ism. It's something people resort to alot nowadays, when trying to discredit political opponents in debates. Like I said I don't think there is any ill-will here, and I've caught myself doing it too, it's such an easy thing to do since everyone is so defensive about politics, it can be hard to see oneself clearly in these cases.

"Whataboutism is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.[4][5][6] When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union during the Cold War, the Soviet response would often be "What about ..." followed by instancing of an event or situation in the Western world.[7][8][9] According to Russian writer, chess grandmaster and political activist Garry Kasparov, it is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slavery, racism, lynchings, etc.[10] Whataboutism has been used by other politicians and countries as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    I don't think there is any ill-intent on your part, but this is called whatabout-ism. It's something people resort to alot nowadays, when trying to discredit political opponents in debates. Like I said I don't think there is any ill-will here, and I've caught myself doing it too, it's such an easy thing to do since everyone is so defensive about politics, it can be hard to see oneself clearly in these cases.

"Whataboutism is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.[4][5][6] When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union during the Cold War, the Soviet response would often be "What about ..." followed by instancing of an event or situation in the Western world.[7][8][9] According to Russian writer, chess grandmaster and political activist Garry Kasparov, it is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slavery, racism, lynchings, etc.[10] Whataboutism has been used by other politicians and countries as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
    lol that’s very interesting. But I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy going down. How are you suppose to expose it in an ‘honest way’, without fallacy? But I do read the news daily. Several times daily. I stayed up very late last night watching the house vote for the 25th amendment. I’m not ignorant to what is going down. I’ve been trying to keep up with it as best as I can because this all seems like a pretty big deal to me.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    lol that’s very interesting. But I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy going down. How are you suppose to expose it in an ‘honest way’, without fallacy? But I do read the news daily. Several times daily. I stayed up very late last night watching the house vote for the 25th amendment. I’m not ignorant to what is going down. I’ve been trying to keep up with it as best as I can because this all seems like a pretty big deal to me.
    Yeah, I agree there are alot of double standards going on. I'm not denying that, and it needs to be said.

I just meant that maybe then wasn't the right time to point it out regarding the BLM riots? Even if the violence caused by antifa and such at these riots are not excusable, and democrats have been too silent about it, it doesn't take away from Trump being responsible nonetheless for what happened on capitol hill.

But like I said, I have done the same thing before, lol, so I know it comes from a desire to point out hypocrisy, I'm just saying things have to be kept on-subject lol.
    Join my Enneagram Discord: https://discord.gg/ND4jCAcs

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not familiar with BLM riot or incitements on them. But I do believe it is within the companies’ right in general to cancel those kinds of people. Plus - and I don’t necessarily like this but it just is - this was “bigger” or more attention grabbing due to being a Capitol riot and the protestors were encouraged by the President. That may be why you see a bigger action taken here maybe

I think “free speech” is fine but when it’s literally resulting in violence, an action has to be taken

plus this was an attack on the government itself, incited by the president, so it makes sense more urgent actions are taken for it.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/617614/
    im not trying to downplay and incitement’s of violence by anybody else in the congress but just that I don’t think Twitter or any other tech companies really did anything wrong by “cancelling” him.
    Did you watch trumps speech?
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one?
    the one before his supporters stormed capitol hill
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not familiar with BLM riot or incitements on them. But I do believe it is within the companies’ right in general to cancel those kinds of people. Plus - and I don’t necessarily like this but it just is - this was “bigger” or more attention grabbing due to being a Capitol riot and the protestors were encouraged by the President. That may be why you see a bigger action taken here maybe
    Legality != morality. Yes they have a legal “right” to cancel these people. And people have a “right” to be concerned that big tech can just make opposing views and people they don’t like disappear from the Internet. If the forum moderators decided to ban you because they didn’t like you they’d have a “right” to do so; does that make it morally right?

I think “free speech” is fine but when it’s literally resulting in violence, an action has to be taken
    “Resulting in violence” is an odd way to say that a protester was needlessly shot. Law enforcement let a mob into the capitol; it’s their fault, not Trump’s.

plus this was an attack on the government itself, incited by the president, so it makes sense more urgent actions are taken for it.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/617614/
    im not trying to downplay and incitement’s of violence by anybody else in the congress but just that I don’t think Twitter or any other tech companies really did anything wrong by “cancelling” him.
    Trump did not tell them to go there. He didn’t incite anything. And even if he did the fact that big tech collaborated to disappear the online presence of the President doesn’t concern you?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Trump did not tell them to go there. He didn’t incite anything.
    Where are you getting your news?

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...-capitol-riot/

And even if he did the fact that big tech collaborated to disappear the online presence of the President doesn’t concern you?
    Isn't this an example of me-too-ism?

"I did nothing wrong."
    "And if I did, you can't prove it because I deny it."
    "And even if I did it, it wasn't wrong."
    "There are other things you should worry about so much more."

I'm thinking "Ted Bundy" here.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    My bad. I didn’t see that he mentioned anything about going over to the capitol. Still he wasn’t calling for violence and asked them to be peaceful.

Isn't this an example of me-too-ism?

"I did nothing wrong."
    "And if I did, you can't prove it because I deny it."
    "And even if I did it, it wasn't wrong."
    "There are other things you should worry about so much more."

I'm thinking "Ted Bundy" here.
    Yes, I’m saying it’s more concerning that Twitter and big tech have decided to censor a sitting President than whatever Trump may have said.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My bad. I didn’t see that he mentioned anything about going over to the capitol. Still he wasn’t calling for violence and asked them to be peaceful.
    He is a weasel and a coward, only too happy to incite and then dodge responsibility. Please refer to my post, "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_n...lent_priest%3F

Yes, I’m saying it’s more concerning that Twitter and big tech have decided to censor a sitting President than whatever Trump may have said.
    Free speech is an essential part of maintaining a democracy, but the right to say anything you want is not unlimited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouti...rowded_theater

Twitter and big tech let him talk for a long time, and what we got as a result was something that many people predicted.
    @FreelancePoliceman, you're a smart guy, normally excellent at seeing unvarnished reality. Why are you not seeing this?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is a Cancel Culture?
    People are exposed for being human and then universally ostracized.