Thread: 2020 Disunited States of America Election

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-some-of-them/

^ An interesting article which makes the case against the "shy Trump voter" explanation of inaccurate polls. FWIW, the Trump voters that I've personally encountered have not been shy. LOL.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-some-of-them/

^ An interesting article which makes the case against the "shy Trump voter" explanation of inaccurate polls. FWIW, the Trump voters that I've personally encountered have not been shy. LOL.

This pollster seems to disagree, though.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pollster seems to disagree, though.
    and now he can say once more: "I TOLD YOU SO!"

wisconsin Polls:

trafalgar: 47.5% biden, 47.1% Trump
    CNN poll: Biden 52%, Trump 43%

with 99% of votes counted:
    Biden: 49.4%, Trump 48.8%

I read in a Dutch newspaper that one of the strategies applied by Trafalgar is not to ask people what they vote themselves, they ask what their neighbors vote. That kind of out-of-the-box thinking is simply brilliant.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

thanks for new comic show

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done some quick research about the possibility of statehood for Washington D.C. Due to the filibuster, it would require a 60 senator majority, which seems unlikely to ever materialize. While the senate just needs a simple majority to end the filibuster, senator Joe Manchin has made it clear that he will not vote to end it. Without an end to the filibuster, I'd expect little to no change (on many fronts, not just statehood) for at least the next couple of years.

Joe Manchin has also explicitly rejected statehoods for Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico (he's a little more open-minded about Puerto Rico). He also refuses to stack the courts.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...0/nday.06.html
    Last edited by xerx; 01-07-2021 at 06:15 AM. Reason: rewording

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the senate just needs a simple majority to end the filibuster
    And here's the 'nuclear option' that lets you do it:

A more complicated, but more likely, way to ban the filibuster would be to create a new Senate precedent. The chamber’s precedents exist alongside its formal rules to provide additional insight into how and when its rules have been applied in particular ways. Importantly, this approach to curtailing the filibuster—colloquially known as the “nuclear option” and more formally as “reform by ruling”—can, in certain circumstances, be employed with support from only a simple majority of senators.

The nuclear option leverages the fact that a new precedent can be created by a senator raising a point of order, or claiming that a Senate rule is being violated. If the presiding officer (typically a member of the Senate) agrees, that ruling establishes a new precedent. If the presiding officer disagrees, another senator can appeal the ruling of the chair. If a majority of the Senate votes to reverse the decision of the chair, then the opposite of the chair’s ruling becomes the new precedent.
    https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020...-eliminate-it/
    Last edited by xerx; 01-07-2021 at 06:07 AM. Reason: rewording

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the next administration needs to do is do a massive crackdown on all white nationalist and western supremacist terror groups like the proud boys, in a manner similar to erdogan's purges in turkey or merkel's purges in germany. lock em all up and send em all to jail, and rough up the protestors the same way trump roughed up the blm protestors, hate has no place in this country. although i must say merkel is kind of a nazi for her support for abuses of uighurs ( with concentration camps!!!!) in china. people say we need to listen to white nationalists, that they need to feel heard, nonsense, give him jail time, make him fear dropping the soap in front of their worst racial enemies, and make him starve after coming out, that oughta silence em. EDIT: although i must say some white nationalists did report leaving when approached with love, but that cant work on a mass scale. slaughter their movement.