Thread: 2020 Disunited States of America Election

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I'm sorry for implying it was. I know in the Democracy Index it is not regarded top tier - it's in the "Flawed democracy" category.

America is very strong when it comes to democratic involvement at all levels of society, including things like class president and small town mayor. Although the electoral college and disproportionate senate weightings to states does screw things up. (The UK does in effect have an electoral college when it comes to deciding its leader, except British people don't actually vote for their leader. The second biggest party in terms of the popular vote could gain power, but that's not as absurd as having a specific vote on your leader in a two-horse race where the person who comes second becomes President).

The US suffers very badly with petty attempts at disenfranchising citizens from the vote.
    The idea of the electoral college was to prevent a popular demagogue. As well as keep smaller states from getting too pissed off. Well, the smaller states are pissed off anyway and the minority elected the demagogue. Who knew. The old standard of parties choosing their own candidates would have prevented Trump from gaining the presidency.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    The idea of the electoral college was to prevent a popular demagogue. As well as keep smaller states from getting too pissed off. Well, the smaller states are pissed off anyway and the minority elected the demagogue. Who knew. The old standard of parties choosing their own candidates would have prevented Trump from gaining the presidency.
    I can certainly see the wisdom in not wanting to piss off Montana.