Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    From the Skeptics Notated Bible... seriously? It's so very... sad. And, bad. It is not rad. And it does not make me glad.
    Surely you read the quoted parts before you got to the link? Every quote is in the original bible.

It isn't a sound argument to say that because someone you disagree with quoted from your holy book you can ignore the quotes as being problematic for you.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Surely you read the quoted parts before you got to the link? Every quote is in the original bible.

It isn't a sound argument to say that because someone you disagree with quoted from your holy book you can ignore the quotes as being problematic for you.
    Religious nutcases do tend to be like that.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I wouldn't call her a nutcase but she is a totalitarian religious extremist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by queentiger View Post
    In my view the word "nutcase" is more loaded than "totalitarian religious extremist", easier to dismiss as merely an opinion. Even in the "nutcase" category, there are milder alternatives.

At face value, there are billions of people on this planet that follow one ideology or another that has promoted mass slaughter in the past and possibly even in the present and future and which consider torture, slavery, and rape as acceptable. So even though I might consider them "totalitarian religious extremists" for that reason, it would actually be a position more common than what I consider moderate. I find it difficult to believe that so many people could truly think that way however. I have the same view for something like "nutcasery", but I suppose it's perfectly possible that according to my standard, most people are in the "deplorables" category. It probably doesn't really help to label them as such, as though I can shame them into being more acceptable by my standard. The reality is probably that these people did not accept the supernatural claims of their ideologies through reason, and hence, it may be very difficult to reason them out of it. I just hope that something I say sticks and they'll have an "Aha!" moment and realise that what they follow isn't right and far removed from what they believe is acceptable aesthetically and from what it is rational to believe in terms of evidence.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by queentiger View Post
    Religious nutcases do tend to be like that.
    Although admittedly considering her "Homophobia is a really stupid word" comment in the first post of this thread, it is quite tempting to not balk at calling her a religious nutcase.