Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
I've known that expectations affect performance outcomes for a long time.

I definitely benefited from being in advanced classes in school. I could turn in some junk and the teachers would give me the benefit of the doubt, while my friends in the standard track got no such consideration.

The most glaring example that comes to mind, out of many, many examples, was my answer to the question on an economics final that asked "What is the marginal benefit of reducing prohibitions (tariff and licensing barriers) on imported drugs?" This question was probably asking me to compare the immediate and extended costs of producing medical products domestically or importing them.
Well, I was both in the Honors Program (for particularly bright and accomplished students. Thank you, high taxes on industry to support my school) and was doing a lot of drugs at the time instead of studying economics, so I answered "Sweet dreams". I got credit for that answer. Lol.

The thing that I have to watch out for is the reverse phenomenon, in which I decide that I'm not good at something and then, forever after, I'm not good at that.
I once decided that I wasn't good at paperwork. There might be some low Se combined with unvalued Ti there, or I might just get bored easily, IDK, but when I expect to have to do routine paperwork, my mind absolutely shuts down. Integral calculus, no problem. Adding rows of numbers, get out of here, I'm blind. I can't see the paper.
So much this.