Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Appreciation and praise: Indentity vs Duality

  1. #1
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Appreciation and praise: Indentity vs Duality

    How do you feel about being complimented by more complementary types?

    I feel mostly indifferent. Being complimented by an identical (or mirror) is much better.
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,186
    Mentioned
    1239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    > Being complimented by an identical (or mirror) is much better.

    if to identify types correctly, there will be lesser of nonsense
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  3. #3
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    > Being complimented by an identical (or mirror) is much better.

    if to identify types correctly, there will be lesser of nonsense
    I have plenty of identical friends, and it's very easy to get to know them.
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  4. #4
    voider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    TIM
    SEE-H 2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I prefer duals or people outside of quadra complimenting me. That means I'm doing good at what I am weak at -> improvement.

  5. #5
    ouronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Posts
    2,468
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    For me, it's when people who are good at what I'm not good at complement me on the thing I'm not good at. And insults also sting more

  6. #6
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Italy
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    16,596
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well identicals are better for learning. So if they say you're getting good at something they're good at, it's generally a good sign. Criticism from identicals also doesn't really feel like criticism. More like a statement of fact.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think activity is a nice complement.

    EDIT: My bad misunderstood OP. Any kind of compliment on any Super ID IE usually shocks me and I remember for a very long time. Any compliment on my creative feels nice and earned. Obviously compliments from opposite quadra are the most shocking (in a good way) but feel not exactly believable, like they are complimenting what they see not the real me, and compliments from my own quadra definitely hit home, sometimes their reactions are even compliments. You can tell when some laughs at a joke and really really gets it.

  8. #8
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voider View Post
    I prefer duals or people outside of quadra complimenting me. That means I'm doing good at what I am weak at -> improvement.
    IME they tend to compliment us on aspects we know we are good at, which makes us indifferent
    Last edited by Megatrop; 10-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  9. #9
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pixel View Post
    I think activity is a nice complement.

    EDIT: My bad misunderstood OP. Any kind of compliment on any Super ID IE usually shocks me and I remember for a very long time. Any compliment on my creative feels nice and earned. Obviously compliments from opposite quadra are the most shocking (in a good way) but feel not exactly believable, like they are complimenting what they see not the real me, and compliments from my own quadra definitely hit home, sometimes their reactions are even compliments. You can tell when some laughs at a joke and really really gets it.
    I don't care about "identicals" finding my jokes funny, but I appreciate when duals (maybe) and other complementary laugh, especially when I'm not trying
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  10. #10
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psych View Post
    I happen to not have liked my duals (there is an exception to this, and I hope, more exceptions in the future) but I have only interacted with them online. I don't like:

    the negativism, low on openness, assuming the worst in their weak areas (NF) and acting on it. Being low on openness is personally a big one for me. And some 1D Fi types can be seriously callous (some of them legit scare me). That last one - of course, is a complete deal breaker, no questions asked.

    But I really don't have extensive experience with my duals. The somewhat ironic thing is that it was Activity relations that made me excited about Socionics because I trusted this person like I never have anyone in my 25 years on this earth. Yes, not even my own parents. He was only a friend but he "got" me and did not misunderstand me. And he could be himself, a logical type, straightforward and so-called "blunt" but all I saw was an extremely kind individual who I inherently trusted. Someone else could have told me the same things he did, but if different IEs were involved, I would have felt upset, triggered, as I normally did because I do have my vulnerabilities. Not the case with him at all.

    Unfortunately, of course, it's Activity so inevitably the relation wears out and comes to an end.

    As for duality, if it's not happening naturally, I will never force it. Because it's unlikely to happen that way.

    Identicals are alright, they are not bad. I have never been romantically attracted to one, but I can get excited at times about a feeling of (platonic) kinship with certain identicals. We speak the same language. And that's soothing when you otherwise have to try pretty hard to be heard and understood by several other types.
    I get what you're saying. Most of my friends are identicals. What's your type?
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

  11. #11
    The Evening and the Morning Star Eudaimonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pizza Hut
    TIM
    Jimin
    Posts
    2,595
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Compliments from an Identical type? I wouldn't care, I know what I'm good at I don't need affirmation from an identical unless it was someone I looked up to. My dual will give me compliments frequently I like compliments in general but I don't get carried away.

    Now, compliments from my conflictor? I know I'm doing something right when that happens.

  12. #12
    Shazaam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lamp
    TIM
    AB-IEI-Ni
    Posts
    13,018
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    A dual complimenting you can come off sarcastic I think based on how the functions are placed. An identical complimenting you (especially if they are older like in a 'teacher' role) usually feels better and like you are improving more in the 'external worldly world' in the business sense, because often I think it's kind of like covering up your polr in an indirect way. (and they can't really do that anyway of course but that's not the point)

    Compliments also are ego-hits- just good ones, and so it would make sense that a dual probably should avoid them.

    A dual's job isn't to give you compliments I don't think- it's to just fuck you in the ass romantically. Or something like that. A compliment would just get in the way of that? A dual would more than likely insult you- and then see/test how you don't measure up to the insults. So a reverse kind of compliment if you will.

  13. #13
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    13,579
    Mentioned
    1338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    A dual's job isn't to give you compliments I don't think- it's to just fuck you in the ass ... .
    This probably varies from one dyad to another. Not saying you're wrong, though.


  14. #14
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Posts
    4,672
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think being complimented by LIEs and ILIs are the best for me. It could be for several different reasons though. Usually smart + high Ni + if they can generate enough Fe to give a compliment that’s probably rare.

    Compliments from dual and occasionally activity (good to know I seem appealing to them) and supervisor are also flattering.

  15. #15
    Haikus SGF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    ┌П┐(ಠ_ಠ)
    TIM
    LSI-H™
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    > Being complimented by an identical (or mirror) is much better.

    if to identify types correctly, there will be lesser of nonsense
    Yeah, I agree.
    I don't understand how people can assume that they are meeting their dual or mirror, when they are possibly mistyped themselves and possibly mistyping the other person as well. It just makes no sense.. idk why ppl here do this to be honest.

    It is as if one is blind and fumbling in the dark pretending one can see.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,186
    Mentioned
    1239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    I don't understand how people can assume that they are meeting their dual or mirror, when they are possibly mistyped themselves
    If people identify types in a way that get good fiting to main theory - they may trust to their typing skills. Though, not absolutely due to methods speculativity what leads to some % of changed assured opinions. If people get often contradictions, - the chance the problem is mistyping but not the theory. At least, without good typing experince and much watching typed people to doubt in the theory which is thought as correct by other ones is not reasonably. When novices do so - it's funny.

    Mainly, it's Ti types who tend to create new/change theories to explain what they see. Te types to protect the opinion prefer "other influencing factors" explanations or to doubt in the said as facts.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  17. #17
    Jo Lande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    TIM
    INTj-Ne 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I mostly feel better when complimented in an enthusiastic way, which is often the style of Fe-doms. With other types, a reserved response can leave me wondering if I did the right thing or if I must try harder. Being with LIIs can be comfortable and intellectually stimulating, but the lack of emotional energy leaves me wanting sometimes. Besides, compliments from thinkers are either hard-earned or have a but at the end of it. Imo, I just want my word taken at face value, same as I would do for someone more experienced with handling social and household matters. Total trust in each other's abilities is the best compliment you can give.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll take any compliment I can get from anybody. Not a hang up area for me.

    Appreciation is different. Some words of appreciation are most certainly shallow, and easily spoken, and hallow. ... However, the gesture behind saying it, is appreciated. Show me your appreciation in return someday.

  19. #19
    I'm a tourist in the land of my own being Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cosmos
    TIM
    IEE-NeFe-San1Phleg2
    Posts
    700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    A dual complimenting you can come off sarcastic I think based on how the functions are placed. An identical complimenting you (especially if they are older like in a 'teacher' role) usually feels better and like you are improving more in the 'external worldly world' in the business sense, because often I think it's kind of like covering up your polr in an indirect way. (and they can't really do that anyway of course but that's not the point)

    Compliments also are ego-hits- just good ones, and so it would make sense that a dual probably should avoid them.

    A dual's job isn't to give you compliments I don't think- it's to just fuck you in the ass romantically. Or something like that. A compliment would just get in the way of that? A dual would more than likely insult you- and then see/test how you don't measure up to the insults. So a reverse kind of compliment if you will.
    yeah, being complimented by a dual comes off as sarcastic or is simply ignored. That might be one reason why we tend to overlook duals in general, because we take them for granted or dont take them seriously until we get to know them closely
    self-discovery
    self-development
    optimism
    relationships
    communication
    high ideals

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •