Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Being a narcissist and being able to get his way is another point towards what I mean by him being more able than others to fix things when all hell breaks loose. Being a narcissist means that he’ll do it for his ego too.
    granted i have no psychological expertise but this isn't really how narcissism often works that i understand. often it's about maintaining an image and selling people on it, not about actually doing the stuff that would warrant the image (it's part of the grandiose delusions of the disorder). so even though the US is doing really badly with covid for instance, Trump often says we're doing great and may say we're somehow ahead of other nations, that we've addressed covid better. or even though he didn't build much at the border, he may still continue to proclaim things like the wall is built or it will be the greatest wall or whatever. these things he says are grandiose hyperbole. i feel like he can fix things about as well as a cult leader can.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...g-fail-deliver (this article doesn't support its title well)

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/psych...future-faking/

basically narcissists deliver empty promises. it's what happens in a personal relationship with one. but this is an entire nation in a relationship with one.

the only thing i have an issue with in my saying this is the labeling which i feel isn't wise, but i'm not wise enough to do better. and it's not like someone like bill clinton didn't have strong narcissistic tendencies. it takes a big ego in many cases to be a world leader.

Trump's opponent Hair Fetish may also have narcissistic tendencies.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-14-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    granted i have no psychological expertise but this isn't really how narcissism often works that i understand. often it's about maintaining an image and selling people on it, not about actually doing the stuff that would warrant the image (it's part of the grandiose delusions of the disorder). so even though the US is doing really badly with covid for instance, Trump often says we're doing great and may say we're somehow ahead of other nations, that we've addressed covid better. or even though he didn't build much at the border, he may still continue to proclaim things like the wall is built or it will be the greatest wall or whatever. these things he says are grandiose hyperbole. i feel like he can fix things about as well as a cult leader can.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...g-fail-deliver (this article doesn't support its title well)

basically narcissists deliver empty promises. it's what happens in a personal relationship with one. but this is an entire nation in a relationship with one.

the only thing i have an issue with in my saying this is the labeling which i feel isn't wise, but i'm not wise enough to do better. and it's not like someone like bill clinton didn't have strong narcissistic tendencies. it takes a big ego in many cases to be a world leader.

I remember reading an article by a leading PTSD researcher who described the relationship of America with Trump to be similar to a narcissistic abuse relationship. Like he's basically giving the country PTSD. I don't have the link atm though.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    He hasn't fixed anything yet. Hard to believe he's going to fix anything in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post

Idk I type Trump SLE in part because I feel like I can relate to his line of thinking (if there’s a decent human being somewhere deep inside him, instead of him being corrupt through and through). If I were made president and wanted to make an unexpected positive impact, then I’d have to create enough of a track record of destruction behind me to make people have certain expectations of me and let me “in” first, like a spy.

Also there aren’t really any viable alternatives to him right now lol. This is why I’ve typed y’all as gamma introverts, wallowing in gloom and doom even when nothing is gonna change.