Hybrid View

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally do see man hate in feminism to some extent... It's another of these things where I don't seem to fully agree with either side. I feel like a lot of the anti-feminist arguments don't seem to acknowledge there is a real power difference in society. OTOH, a lot of the feminist arguments don't seem to acknowledge that feminism actually is creating division on its own by alienating men, that it is not simply that they are all "sexist" and that's why alienation is occurring. Sometimes I don't know if these movements seek equality or dominance...

But I am part of the giant mess in my own tiny way...

Also I don't agree with @Grendel. My feeling is if men don't want to accept that sex can lead to babies then maybe they shouldn't have sex. Like unfortunately the man created that screaming larvae too and so if it is to live he is also responsible for it.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-12-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Of course they shouldn't have sex if they don't realize it leads to babies. I'm not opposed to child support from confirmed fathers. I'm opposed to maternity leave, which men who AREN'T the father will be made to pay for.
    sorry I didn't read, it's really quite bad. I am for maternity/paternity leave. But I'm for social programs even if most don't benefit me. I don't know much about the funding as I was mainly aware of it being offered by employers. I wouldn't be against it being part of a socialized healthcare system. I think the state of healthcare in the US is awful and consider it inhumane how expensive it is.

I guess I don't see it as different from other social programs. I think it's important to meet a bare minimum standard of health and well-being that the US isn't meeting. I think it's important for babies to be with a parent or close caregiver at all times and that it will create unstable adults if they don't have proper care. A society of unstable adults is a sick society. I don't want a sick society.

I guess I basically see it as the children of a society are its future. Much must be devoted to them to make a strong society.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    That's not how it works, though. If anything, it's what you'd do if you'd rather ensure society goes on at all, than make sure it's a suitable one for human life beforehand. It's what you do if you care more about the idea of the human race than the actual well-being of real humans, who might be worse off in a future hellscape than had they never existed at all.

It sounds like the logic of pro-lifers who only care about protecting you while you're in the womb, but then throw you out to die once you're born. We should be making sure future generations have a world left to occupy before spawning them into this hellhole. If you just ensure more people are born, then expect the details to sort themselves out, then you're putting the cart before the horse. More people make the world worse as often as they make it better, and the more of them you have, the greater the odds that things default to competition over cooperation.

IMO, the ability of population growth to quickly scale upwards or downwards with the prosperity of a culture is essential to keep them from exceeding their own carry cap and dying off quickly, or else needing to invade other cultures to sustain themselves. Especially in such an already flimsy paradigm as the western one, which is actually highly unstable despite many people's impression that it's an indomitable juggernaut.
    I'm confused. If we're taking about population growth I agree there's too many people and wish people would reproduce less. But maternity leave doesn't have anything to do with dystopias... It's just about caring for people...

ETA: https://time.com/5590167/paid-family...ates/?amp=true

Yeah from this I think it would need to be paired with a less expensive healthcare system that saves people money. By itself it is another tax and I'm sure they'd tax everyone in the middle class more than they would the wealthy for it because that seems to be what the US always does, which would just choke finances more. Another $200 a year in taxes for me would be a lot.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-13-2020 at 11:29 AM.