Thread: Pic of your rat's nest / battle-station plz!

Hybrid View

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    As a guy who has worked in places that looked like that, and in places where nude pinups were not tolerated, I can say that the latter makes for a better work environment.
    production is all male, roughnecks, mostly steel workers 50+ years old. A bunch of rowdy & fun old STs.
    with the exception of graphics design, sales and IT, all other office occupations are done by women, accounting for example and administration. Soo.. they don't exactly work in the same environment.

Some of those posters were given to the guys by the women <.< lmao..

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    production is all male, roughnecks, mostly steel workers 50+ years old. A bunch of rowdy & fun old STs.
    Yes, that describes the places that I worked. Heavy industry places, filled with guys who were not very nuanced. They are mostly all out of business now. I wonder if there is a correlation?

TIM
    SLE-C (ISTP)
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that describes the places that I worked. Heavy industry places, filled with guys who were not very nuanced. They are mostly all out of business now. I wonder if there is a correlation?
    Yeah, the less nuanced and hamfisted sensors have mostly been outsourced overseas. I don’t think it’s a good thing though and the intuitive high horse is sometimes just a nuanced way of being jealous.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Yeah, the less nuanced and hamfisted sensors have mostly been outsourced overseas. I don’t think it’s a good thing though and the intuitive high horse is sometimes just a nuanced way of being jealous.
    I don't think that exporting ST jobs overseas is a good idea, either. Basically, because that leaves a huge number of people with no work to do, and almost everyone feels better when they know they are making a contribution to an organization.

I was thinking more along the lines that non-nuanced guys were not able to defend* their jobs against outsourcing to cheaper countries. Factory guys were placed into direct competition with foreign workers who were paid almost nothing because that was up from starvation, while doctors and dentists and large farmers were able to use the legal system to protect their jobs from foreign competition. Nuance, and the ability to understand the forces beyond the "here and now" that might affect you, matters.

*"Defend", as in, banding together into a strong union in order to pay significant bribes to politicians who make the laws that eventually will or will not screw you over. Big agriculture did it, doctors formed the AMA and did it, Dentists did it, but the average union worker was not able to maintain solidarity. Ask any factory worker in the US about unions and they will say something like "Oh, unions had their day, but they got way too greedy and now they are obsolete." They say this while making minimum wage in a dead end job. Now that's an example of having the foresight of a goldfish.

Jealousy isn't really a factor in this argument.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are part of a multinational, they outsourced production here in 2004. What we produce, we export every week to the mother company and they sell it as "made in Austria" :>. Thats how they survived.

Demand even now with the virus has been high, so business is booming. Last Friday alone we exported 4x 7.5 ton and 1x 20 ton trucks worth of projects, to 4 different locations. Thats just 1 week production and the company is smol, only 86 ppl.