Thread: Si PoLR - Thoughts on Food?

TIM
    EIE-Ni-N
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Si PoLR - Thoughts on Food?

I haven't found a thread about this exact subject yet, my apologies if there has been a thread like this started in the past. Feel free to direct me to it if that's the case. But I'm very interested in the relationship between Si PoLR and food.

While eating is usually seen as a social activity in many cultures, eating is also quite a personal ritual for many. I'm quite interested to hear what Si PoLRs thoughts are on food.

You don't have to answer any of these obviously but some random questions to get the mind going:
    What is eating and drinking like for you? Do you enjoy cooking or baking? Do you prefer take-out? How do you handle food past the expiration date? Do you ever try to be economical with your food? When other people talk about food, how does it make you feel?
    Any thoughts, theories, and experiences would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that I'm Si-PoLR, but a number of people have expressed an opinion that I am, so I'll contribute a post to this topic. I would say, first of all, that my relationship with food has evolved over the course of my life, thanks in large part to a medication that I now take. This medication--it's called Abilify--has pushed me to the higher end of the average weight range, whereas, before I started taking it, I was far underweight. So I eat way more than I used to--currently about 1500 calories a day. Do I enjoy eating? Yes, like nearly every living thing, I do. But not nearly as much, I think, as a lot of people. I was recently shocked, for example, when someone told me that they get pleasure out of a few things in life, food being one of them. It would never occur to me to place something as trivial as food enjoyment anywhere near the top of my list of pleasures. Typically, when I do eat, I place more importance on nutritional value than taste. I don't eat candy, for example, because, aside from not having much of a sweet tooth, I know consuming it is a form of self-harm, and the thought of being riddled with disease is not appealing. As far as my diet goes, it is remarkably lacking in variety--there are about five foods that I eat on a regular basis. This doesn't bother me; I could care less about trying new things. Aside from that, I guess I eat super fast. People have remarked on it several times, and I have noticed it myself.

TIM
    depends
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Do I enjoy eating? Yes, like nearly every living thing, I do. But not nearly as much, I think, as a lot of people. I was recently shocked, for example, when someone told me that they get pleasure out of a few things in life, food being one of them. It would never occur to me to place something as trivial as food enjoyment anywhere near the top of my list of pleasures.........Aside from that, I guess I eat super fast. People have remarked on it several times, and I have noticed it myself.
    I'm the same as you with a lot of this- people say that I eat really quickly, like I'm not really enjoying or tasting my food. I figure that since I'm hungry, I should get rid of the feeling right away by eating quickly. I don't really think about what I'm eating very much and just shovel all of it into my mouth. I'm not a pig though lol.
    But at the same time I do like food- I just wouldn't call myself a gourmand or a food-lover like some do. My favorite is ramen. Oftentimes when I'm eating it I feel disappointed because it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Food always seems to smell better than it tastes.

When I'm excited about something, like work or a social event, I dislike eating because I don't have an appetite and it distracts me. I feel like I can only eat when I'm "off." I don't think Si PolR is a hatred of food exactly but a reluctance to indulge in it when there are more important things to do.

I'm pretty good at baking- sometimes when I'm very bored I like to try making something. It's like chemistry; all you have to do is follow the recipe. Usually I cook simply like oatmeal or scrambled eggs, but my mom makes very nutritious but decadent meals. Sometimes I feel like it's too much. She'll also bring me more food while I'm studying, which I understand is nice, but I can't eat and study at the same time. It's extremely intrusive to me. Even when I refuse her she'll sneakily tell me to take "just a bite" so that I realize I'm hungry and give in. That's amazing for her dual but not for me.

I don't care if something is expired because most times I'm fine after I eat it. It depends on the food and how long it was though. I usually think about whether or not I'd die if I ate it.

I'm not Si polr but... I'll comment anyways.

I tend to experiment with cooking, but in the end I realize I prefer not bothering with complexity. Like I used to put cinnamon, brown sugar, and nutmeg on my oatmeal.. but realized that plain oatmeal is just as enjoyable and eating it isn't necessarily interesting regardless, so I eat it plainly usually.

Sometimes I'll buy random vegetables and fruits and grains to try out every once in awhile to make up for my lackluster tastes. Imo, variety is cheaper than having to put together complex dishes all the time, all the while achieving the same effect.. that is, exciting my taste buds. Shock and newness is something right?

So basically my point is, I'm a troll with food. I want to just obliterate my senses in all possible directions, and have little to no interest in things tasting "good". I actually don't know what I enjoy the taste of sometimes, because I repress those feelings.

to my dual: you can't really go wrong with cooking anything... If I'm hungry I'll eat it and not even ask what is in it, unless I want to make it myself for you later.

TIM
    EIE-NI(C) 3w4 SP/SX
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a weird thing with food. Getting food are the few good memories of my time at the orphanages. Getting food = getting needs met/peace, the occasional treat/vending machine snack = the only gifts that were mine, the occasional lunch out = special one on one time. So when I get stressed out, I tend to stockpile food or order takeout.

Oddly, I think without my background, I would naturally find eating/food to be a chore and wouldn't feel as compelled by food. I do kind of like cooking things like chili, tacos, pasta, rice, curry chicken.

I try to drink water at least 90% of the time. And I tend to gravitate towards flavorful and spicy foods (Korean, Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, Mexican, Turkish). I don't eat cooked meat past 3 days in the refrigerator. I follow the expiration (unless I freeze them) for fresh produce, meat and sauces.
    Last edited by Stance; 08-31-2020 at 05:39 AM.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread reminds me of something my LIE friend said over the phone recently, that her two favorite words are “free” and “food” lol. She is a big foodie and is also big on fitness and aesthetics, compulsively almost. She has struggled in the past for many years with eating and self-esteem, even though she’s always been objectively good-looking. It’s quite common for teenage girls to struggle with these things (I definitely did too), but I think this actually intensified for her in her 20s as she is a bit of a “late bloomer” with regard to relationships and sexuality. Her main topics of interest when we talk, besides her work ambitions are fitness and trying to learn more about sexuality and such dynamics. It seems that she subjectively struggles a lot with eating too much and guilt with food consumes her easily. She also uses it for comfort.

The couple EIE guys I went out with were not good cooks. I assumed responsibility there and they exited the kitchen lol. OTOH I know another EIE guy who has been a chef for many years, but I’ve never tried his cooking.

I feel that xIEs I’ve known always seem really satisfied when they can provide their friends or family with material comforts and those are appreciated by others.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sky View Post
    I actually don't know what I enjoy the taste of sometimes, because I repress those feelings.
    What? Why?

TIM
    LSI-H
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFW no Si PolR

My grill

My food:

My cat:

TIM
    EIE-Ni-N
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys, I can relate to many posts here.

As for me personally, I do especially relate to what Nunki, pississippi, and sbbds wrote. I've always eaten my food really fast and never cared to actually "taste" what I'm eating. And when people try to get me to slow down to "really taste the flavor", it mildly stresses me out because I can't discern anything that they describe, and it also just doesn't feel relaxing for whatever reason.

I think part of the reason why I took an interest in baking is as a way to appreciate food and to look at the history behind the food. It's also routine and adds structure, and it's relatively easy. I literally just follow a recipe. I can't stand the cleanup afterwards (LOL), so I don't bake that much.

I don't really care to try new things. My diet really does consist of a few staples that I consider to be affordable and easy to clean up. Low fuss, essentially. I eat ramen the most, but if I'm feeling really fancy, I'll make burritos or quesadillas. I should really start buying vegetables and fruits and make smoothies at least, though.

Kind of segues into this next part. If I get really obsessive about health, I can start dieting like crazy, drinking a bunch of water, counting every calorie. I'll still not really branch out in terms of food though, and buy maybe 5-10 different staples, the lowest calorie version of everything, a few fresh fruits and vegetables to make smoothies, and so on.

As for spoiled food, this also depends for me. Clearly spoiled meat is a no go, so are vegetables that are smelly, moldy bread goes in the trash, anything like that. But if it's not moldy, not smelly, so on, then I don't see why not. A lot of pasteurized foods are fine past the expiration date and have a good shelf life, and so do dry goods. But yeah, I'm not really worried about my somewhat expired almond milk killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    What? Why?
    I guess it's because so often, when I'm not taking time out of my day to prepare and cook something special, I just eat to satisfy a requirement, which is basically the food equivalent of loving to read books but then being told I need to read a bunch of short harry potter fan fic novels everyday in order to live- I will skim over it all and be over it.

I think if I spend more than 15 minutes on a meal I will enjoy it, but I still have trouble tasting the intricacies of the dish.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    Kind of segues into this next part.
    Wish I could constructive this post 10 times for correct usage of segue.

And when people try to get me to slow down to "really taste the flavor", it mildly stresses me out because I can't discern anything that they describe, and it also just doesn't feel relaxing for whatever reason.
    I hope you don’t mind me highlighting this, I was just curious. I think it’s kind of cool by the way.
    So you can’t taste food at certain levels of nuance? Or do you think maybe other people are just adding their subjective bs about what they’re tasting?

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if I spend more than 15 minutes on a meal I will enjoy it, but I still have trouble tasting the intricacies of the dish.
    Are you guys serious? This isn’t playing off some typology stereotype of intuitives not having five senses is it?

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's because so often, when I'm not taking time out of my day to prepare and cook something special, I just eat to satisfy a requirement, which is basically the food equivalent of loving to read books but then being told I need to read a bunch of short harry potter fan fic novels everyday in order to live- I will skim over it all and be over it.
    I’m not like this at all btw, unless the food available to me just sucks. I eat something I want to eat every day given the choice and opportunity. It extremely bothers me when I don’t have control over my health/lifestyle or don’t have access to certain foods or something like that. I think I used to feel differently as a kid with little to no control over my own life .... but I always remember my mom and sometimes other family members restricting my food choices over stupid reasons and me often not liking the food I was eating that much or thinking the nutritional composition was poor. Also when I was really small, the first time I refused to eat broccoli, my parents locked me in our pitch black garage for a few minutes lol. All obese Amurrican kids with picky palettes should receive this treatment IMO. Since then I learned to really like vegetables through other family members’ constant more gentle encouragement and just grew into liking the taste.

I guess I do relate in the sense that I want to put nutrition in my body in the most efficient and palatable manner and not really linger on the experience too much though. However our allocation of levels of focus on this is clearly flipped as it should be for duals.
    Last edited by sbbds; 09-01-2020 at 04:06 AM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-N
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish I could constructive this post 10 times for correct usage of segue.

I hope you donít mind me highlighting this, I was just curious. I think itís kind of cool by the way.
    So you canít taste food at certain levels of nuance? Or do you think maybe other people are just adding their subjective bs about what theyíre tasting?
    Yes, I think a better way for me to describe it would be "most people seem to have a better nuance of taste than I do". My apologies for that.

My ability of taste has gotten much better as I've gotten older, but I remember especially as a kid, adults would really try to get me to "slow down and taste the dish" and they would vividly describe things like spices, butter, glazes, fruits. Whatever, just tasted like a sweet chicken to me (lol). I would think they were bullshitting sometimes, other times, not so much since I watched or helped them cook. Sometimes, I thought my tastebuds were defective or something along the lines of that since I could never achieve that level of sensitivity with taste.

Also it bothers me when people go into incredible detail as to what they would do to improve a dish and they appear incredibly impassioned, even with food that they eat on the daily, for some reason I don't understand that.

Are you guys serious? This isn’t playing off some typology stereotype of intuitives not having five senses is it?
    Well let's just say you should never take me wine tasting...

The one thing I know I'm good at tasting is salt. And I think most restaurants put too much of it in their food- especially soups and curries, which makes me feel hesitant to order such food so very often...

Oh and it doesn't help me develop my taste buds when both my parents aren't good at cooking. Everything is dry and flavorless and uninspired... the typical "well my mom knew how to cook but I never really cared to learn from her so here's what you get" deal. My mom cooked alot more but she rarely ate what she cooked so never got better at it. Well unless it was one of her favourite meals like mac n cheese.

And then over time she just stopped cooking entirely so I started adapting by eating things like canned food, straight from the can. Or just microwaveable things like oatmeal.

I have started cooking more, but it takes alot of planning...

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s fascinating and amazing @Pyre .

The last stuff would also deeply irritate me unless it were some gourmet chef tv show or something. Like wow your life is so boring you have to center it around your tastebuds @ that.

Well let's just say you should never take me wine tasting...
    Good, I also hate that. I will take you butthole tasting instead.

Oh and it doesn't help me develop my taste buds when both my parents aren't good at cooking. Everything is dry and flavorless and uninspired... the typical "well my mom knew how to cook but I never really cared to learn from her so here's what you get" deal. My mom cooked alot more but she rarely ate what she cooked so never got better at it. Well unless it was one of her favourite meals like mac n cheese.

And then over time she just stopped cooking entirely so I started adapting by eating things like canned food, straight from the can. Or just microwaveable things like oatmeal.

I have started cooking more, but it takes alot of planning...
    Interesting. My LSE mom was not a very good cook (successful career woman instead), but my ESI grandma who raised me a lot was amazing. I was exposed to a great variety of good food from my childhood in spite of my mom’s home cooking.

That’s fascinating and amazing @Pyre .

The last stuff would also deeply irritate me unless it were some gourmet chef tv show or something. Like wow your life is so boring you have to center it around your tastebuds @ that.

Good, I also hate that. I will take you butthole tasting instead.

Interesting. My LSE mom was not a very good cook (successful career woman instead), but my ESI grandma who raised me a lot was amazing. I was exposed to a great variety of good food from my childhood in spite of my mom’s home cooking.
    I'll go butthole tasting as long as it's not grape flavoured. Ideal flavor would be pina colada, but I'm not sure how you can make it taste other than a butthole... unless you're applying the extract oil of a fruit like you would lipstick to your lips.

yeah my LSE mom definitely prefers success, reading the bible, and talking on the phone with her small group of friends over a glass of wine, much more than cooking. She seems ok with eating a chicken salad and yogurt, and then a bunch of nutritional smoothies lol.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can Cook decently...simple stuff usually but the taste Is fine.
    I dont Like to spend much time eating or long preparations execept for special Events.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once had an SEI housemate who would just eat bread with hotdog wieners and ketchup for seemingly every meal.

ew... thank god I'm not Si lead?

TIM
    SLE-Se 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vex View Post
    I haven't found a thread about this exact subject yet, my apologies if there has been a thread like this started in the past. Feel free to direct me to it if that's the case. But I'm very interested in the relationship between Si PoLR and food.

While eating is usually seen as a social activity in many cultures, eating is also quite a personal ritual for many. I'm quite interested to hear what Si PoLRs thoughts are on food.

You don't have to answer any of these obviously but some random questions to get the mind going:

What is eating and drinking like for you? Do you enjoy cooking or baking? Do you prefer take-out? How do you handle food past the expiration date? Do you ever try to be economical with your food? When other people talk about food, how does it make you feel?

Any thoughts, theories, and experiences would be appreciated.
    I donít put energy into it and see it more like a normal thing. Usually, I go for hours without eating or drinking and then realize Iím too hungry/thirsty. So Iíll pop in somewhere for a snack if thatíll sustain me until I get home.

I donít mind cooking, if thereís others to cook for. I can make some elaborate stuff but itís not practical when itís normally just me so I can make do with simple stuff like egg avocado toast, cook some marinaded chicken and throw it in some noodle soups, etc. Iím good at baking, but I donít do much of it lately other than turn on the oven and pop in some frozen waffle fries. I have an internal alarm clock that somehow I know itís the right time to take something out. I learned from watching my parents, maybe. Theyíre Delta STs.

I usually finish stuff before the expiration date. I tend to clear out my pantry and organize once every two weeks so if I find something expired, itís going on the trash even if itís expired day of.

Economical like portion control? I generally cook for the amount I know Iíll eat.

I donít mind people talking about food. I participate in the discussions.

Lobster roll, blood orange mimosas, steak/poached eggs and home style potatoes with a friend in an outdoor brunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIM
    EIE-Fe 7w8 Sx/So
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an unhealthy relationship with food.
    Since I was young I developed the habit of overeating to cope with negative emotionality which has carried on into further addictive habits. The major issue being that I look to pleasures to fulfill or heal something, and then they never do. I'm always always disappointed with what I'm eating in the end. I hardly ever take time to enjoy or focus on nuances in tastes, I mostly just eat continuously with no pauses until it's all gone. Often I don't stop until I feel sick because I want to feel something as opposed go nothing. My parents always remarked that I never tasted food properly. "Do you have a train to catch?"

The other extreme is that when I am preoccupied with anything i'm passionate about, socializing, working, I forget about nutrition entirely for long periods of time and end up making myself woozy in the end. Some days I might only have a cup of coffee and bread and not notice until the evening until someone says i mb dehydrated. To counter the hungry feelings that suddenly surface then, I usually eat a lot and unhealthy which fucks me up again lmao. It's impossible for me to tell what the appropriate amount is to eat.

When it comes to the actual food, I overseason it with spices because I cant tolerate any dullness. I dont taste nuance in food, it just doesnt register. My mouth is always burnt or sore in some way from what i've been shoving into it.
    EIE-Fe Creative 7w8 748 Sx/So VELF