Thread: Art - Drawing / Painting. Nature vs Nurture

Threaded View

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting topic to me because I have an SEI cousin who draws and I draw and I am EII. The way we draw is different and I can see some ways it might be influenced by type, especially our strengths and weaknesses in drawing. For example he tells me he has a hard time drawing things from his imagination and he has a much easier time copying an existing picture, to me it sounds like he has an easier time emulating the details of an existing picture that he picks up with Si instead of drawing from random ideas he generates via Ne. I draw more from imagination and usually it's cartoons and I rarely draw from life, I'm not the best at copying but can manage if I had to and sometimes get it really close, but my drawing process is way more Ne idea generating than anything else, and that's my purpose for drawing is the get the generated ideas visualized while my cousins purpose for drawing is to make something aesthetically accurate and pleasing. My cousin has more of a knack and excels with very little effort in graphic design though, he uses very simple shapes and colors and some how makes it flow together. He's a better portrait artist I'm a better cartoonist.

My SLE brother just got started doing art and he paints pop culture cartoons and sneakers. But the reason he does art is "I don't do this because I love it or anything, I'm not like that, I do this to make money." and he sells what he makes. His reason is very different from me and my SEI cousins.

I think being drawn to art is nature and being good at it is nurture.
    I think certain types might be more drawn to drawing and their type might influence their drawing process but I can't say it would give any type the talent, just might make them get early exposure from having an interest in it at a young age. I think when people say talent they really are just noticing someone's early exposure, for most people at least.
    Last edited by Lord Pixel; 08-01-2020 at 05:33 AM.