Thread: Art - Drawing / Painting. Nature vs Nurture

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When people say they don't have talent, they mean, "I can't do that without effort" or "I couldn't do it even if I tried." But babies have to learn how to walk. What if a baby tried to walk and said to itself that it had no talent for walking after it couldn't get up the first few times? How many times do babies fall before learning to walk? It simply keeps trying to do it because it wants to, and it does it until it can. And any good mother encourages the infant all along the way.

Something that's so natural for 99% of humans still has to be learned and practiced for quite a while. Think about that. You didn't walk out of your mother's womb, so why would you expect to paint like Picasso on the first go?

I also remember reading a story about the only woman to ever survive rabies without a rabies shot. She was put into an induced coma, and afterwards had to learn how to swallow again. Think about that lol.

Also, as far as art goes, a lot of whether it's good is a matter of perspective. I like hyperrealism, but one guy I knew who was good at painting said that it wasn't art.
    Last edited by Aramas; 07-17-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    When people say they don't have talent, they mean, "I can't do that without effort" or "I couldn't do it even if I tried." But babies have to learn how to walk. What if a baby tried to walk and said to itself that it had no talent for walking after it couldn't get up the first few times? How many times do babies fall before learning to walk? It simply keeps trying to do it because it wants to, and it does it until it can. And any good mother encourages the infant all along the way.

Something that's so natural for 99% of humans still has to be learned and practiced for quite a while. Think about that. You didn't walk out of your mother's womb, so why would you expect to paint like Picasso on the first go?

I also remember reading a story about the only woman to ever survive rabies without a rabies shot. She was put into an induced coma, and afterwards had to learn how to swallow again. Think about that lol.

Also, as far as art goes, a lot of whether it's good is a matter of perspective. I like hyperrealism, but one guy I knew who was good at painting said that it wasn't art.
    Some people haven't improved despite years of what would count as practice, and some types of people are dissuaded from even trying on the assumption that there are cases where someone can't improve no matter what.

This lowest common denominator forms the basis of people's fears. It does not matter what the mode or median are as long as this LCD is a possibility.

When comparing enviro-determinism and innate-determinism, think about this: Which of the following is more likely? Is it more likely that most things really are environmentally determined, and innate-determinism is an insane worst-case boogeyman that everyone tells themselves because they're masochists?
    Or, is it more likely that once you've boiled everything down, the important things are all innate, and this fact is so discouraging to the average person, that enviro-determinism is a comforting lie they tell themselves, to prevent mass descent into nihilism?

The choice is obvious.