Thread: Truth and niceness

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
    What is the truth? What is being nice?
    I've tried saying things that are generally socially accepted as nice, I've tried just saying whatever comes to my mind, I've tried not saying anything. Neither of those is either the truth or being nice ime... and they all sucked, for everyone.
    Somehow, my brain has come to some conclusion where "truth=nice" but I have no idea what the fuck it means nor how it got here.
    ... I think I like it though, it's kind of alluring a shiny little thing.
    There's also the point of why we want to say this or that, whether it's true, nice or both, that's an interesting avenue to go for around this topic.
    @Aeris

I'm so glad you brought this up I think it's so interesting

For example,

These are objective (or universal) truths, these are basically facts that don't change:

--You can't be sitting and standing at the same time.
    --You can't be jumping and sitting at the same time.
    --The sky is blue
    --My birthday is May 4th

Next examples are Relative truths because it depends on the conditions/ who you are comparing to:

--"Just because bribery is okay in some cultures doesn't mean that other cultures cannot rightfully condemn it."
    --"If you don't pay your electric bill your power will get shut off"
    --"We shouldn’t apply moral judgment to the founding fathers for owning slaves. They were a product of their time"
    --Stealing is ok if you are hungry
    --Adultery is acceptable as long as you really love the other person
    --It’s fine to lie as long as you are helping someone.

Sometimes we withhold truths (or opinions), because we don't want to hurt the other person's feelings. This is valuing feelings over truth

"Hey you're REALLY fat you need to lose weight" vs "Hey, no you're actually perfect, you're beautiful don't change!"

And sometimes being nice is the right thing to do

Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-18-2020 at 09:30 PM.