Hybrid View

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
    I guess it's not really that I don't believe we have unconcious thoughts. More that I don't think people share collective unconcious thoughts, for the most part. People make it sounds as if groups that share a characteristic all share the same unconcious thoughts.

I personally tend to analyze my own behavior & the behavior of others to death sometimes, so I would think that if someone else does the same they would still consciously then know their unconcious thoughts (& fix them or change their behavior accordingly, if they so chose so).

For example, when it comes to like mental health, I have some what's called body focused repetitive behaviors that I've done (hair pulling, nail biting, skin picking, etc.), & I'll analyze why I do these. Is it a manifestation of OCD? ADHD & tied to hyperfocus from being under stimulated?

I guess I just expect most people to ask themselves why they do things to dig deeper & understand fully their minds, but I suppose that they don't a lot of times.
    I believe you are better at it than average if you say that, but yeah you’re definitely above average IME.

People can even exhibit physical behaviors and then be unaware of / in denial of them afterwards, and they can certainly be the same way with thoughts, opinions and attitudes, weird as it may seem.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    What does the bolded mean to you?

The second paragraph could apply to a different point of view. I could see my IEE 3w4 so/sx friend who is incredibly pro-BLM saying something along the lines of "People need to go out and meet others from different walks of life". It's beneficial in general to shaping a world view when people choose to apply what they see and learn from others. It's a part of Socionics afaik.
    What do you mean by what it means to me? I don't exactly understand the question.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    I'm just asking what you meant by it or to clarify is all. Why is it so foreign to you if a person can't explain "why they do something"? That could be any number of things.
    I suppose I just expect that everyone has an inner monologue that gives them a reason for their behavior.

For example, this person at work seemed bothered by me the last time I tried to start a friendly convo with them, so I think I'll ignore them.

Or it's annoying that my mom constantly calls my phone so much. I think she needs to pick up new hobbies to do with her time, so I'll block her number so she can't keep bothering me.

Or I'm really trying to eat more protein to bulk up with my workout routine, so I think I'll buy these protein bites to snack on.

Or I threw my phone in frustrating because I needed to take out some anger to get it out of my system. I shouldn't of thrown my phone, but I did so because I needed to release my tension in some way.

Or I'm really bad at time management. If I allow myself 30 minutes to get ready for the day, I'll take 30 minutes. If I give myself 3 hours, I'll take 3 hours. I do so because I need an immediate deadline to get motivated. If not, I'll loose myself scrolling through social media or even just getting hung up on little details & not being able to switch from one task to another easily, therefore I'll set 15 minute time reminders for myself.

These might be silly examples, but I hope you get my point. For example, someone wouldn't hate the taste of coffee but randomly decide to order an iced latte. It wouldn't make logical sense.

I guess I expect most people to be able to logically explain their thought processes for doing anything they do throughout the day, if someone would ask them about it.

"Xiong Mao"
    TIM
    LII - Ne
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
    I suppose I just expect that everyone has an inner monologue that gives them a reason for their behavior.
    Why do you expect this? I expect the exact opposite, that most people are on autopilot most of the time.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Panda View Post
    Why do you expect this? I expect the exact opposite, that most people are on autopilot most of the time.
    I guess I shouldn't, but I suppose I just think of people's minds as being mostly running monologues that should be capable of analysis of behavior. I guess I just like to know why people do the things they do & assume others would wonder about those things too. I probably have more interest in it than most people, I guess. Just doing things without the running commentary of my own voice in my head would seem strange. Lol

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duschia View Post
    Personally, I'm more likely to have an 'empty head' (nirvana-like, heh) than a monologue at any given moment. And even if I have some words in my head, those are usually not monologues of myself analyzing something, but playing with scenarios/situations/imaginations. My analyses happen to be mostly unconscious and very automatic in a way. They just are.
    That's interesting. People's thought processes definitely widely vary (which also adds to my point in this thread that it's hard to blanket statement apply or attribute something to everyone & their brain/thoughts). Personally, I'm very aware of my analysis of any or everything.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SadParty View Post
    For example, someone wouldn't hate the taste of coffee but randomly decide to order an iced latte. It wouldn't make logical sense.
    I would. I generally don't like the awful bitter taste of coffee (although I'm aware there are some coffees in which this is null), but I want to like coffee. I have countless positive associations in my mind about coffee, including idyllic images of the Amazon rain forest (in western Fern Gully style), those hills somehow associated with fair trade coffee, my early memories of trying coffee for the first time and how alive it made me feel, mornings with my mom and sister drinking coffee and discussing things, all the interesting creamer flavors (even though I hate the coffee creamer too), the positive culture of coffee drinking in my area (it's some kind of social norm), the feeling that coffee is somehow more valid because there are so many different kinds of it (it's been worked out to adequate complexity, though it could be taken further), the constant bombardment of coffee-friendly imagery in society and association with how now you will be able to do all the tedious tasks if you drink this magical elixir. And of course there is the biggie: caffeine addiction. There are other things I may not like about coffee, such as bad breath and dehydration, and when the caffeine somehow makes me scattered instead of focused/productive.

When someone makes a pot of coffee I find myself dreading it and craving it at the same time, because I love it and rather dislike it. I suppose however I love it more than I hate it. But still a strange pattern of whimsical decision-making emerges when it comes to coffee. I may say I want it but then won't drink most of it, when the aversion to coffee wins out, and honestly I don't know why it wins out when it does. Other times I happily drink several cups and wish the coffee were not all gone after.

I wonder if sufficient cognitive dissonance makes often for decisions made off whims. When the mind is confronted with making a choice and the associations against the choice = the associations for the choice, eventually this state must be broken and it doesn't matter which way as long as a decision is finally made, or the state somehow resolved through other means (like avoidance).

Anyway, I think whimsical decision making is quite common. There are not always sufficient reasons to make a decision at all. I think being indecisive and being whimsical may go hand in hand. It's perhaps in this sort of space in which our biases can play out because they can help break the deadlock of cognitive dissonance as well.