TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some perspective

Dave Chappelle 8:46

The title of the special is in reference to Derek Chauvin's knee on George Floyd's neck for a total of 8 minutes and 46 seconds

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Nevertheless, ambitious men will succeed in creating parties, since it is difficult to eject a person from authority upon the mere ground that this place is coveted by others.
    Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, Book 1, Chapter 10
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I love Humanity for all it’s faults!
    I love black people and I was talking to a black guy when I was dating for weeks on the phone. I was hoping he would take the initiative and ask me out on a real date (face to face) but he didn’t and I found my husband shortly after.
    I think we would have gotten on well. He was LSE
    Don’t know why he took so long I figured he was in no rush maybe because of other reasons??? I’ll never know the possibility anyway

Yeah I love black people and I have said this here before which I got slammed for. They have been placed at a real financial disadvantage in this country
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I love Humanity for all it’s faults!
    I love black people and I was talking to a black guy when I was dating for weeks on the phone. I was hoping he would take the initiative and ask me out on a real date (face to face) but he didn’t and I found my husband shortly after.
    I think we would have gotten on well. He was LSE
    Don’t know why he took so long I figured he was in no rush maybe because of other reasons??? I’ll never know the possibility anyway

Yeah I love black people and I have said this here before which I got slammed for. They have been placed at a real financial disadvantage in this country
    Interracial marriages can be challenging for the participants. Not for any interpersonal reasons between the partners, but because we swim in an ocean of racism and other people are going to be critical of your choices.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love black people and I was talking to a black guy
    Was he an SEE lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    When was the last time you filled out a socionics or mbti test properly? You do not seem to know yourself.
    Look at my post count and how many years I’ve done this and which pros have typed me
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    Do not want to ruin your day.
    Seriously go learn the functions
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Twisting my words as to get a rise out of me doesn’t work on me
    -

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twisting my words as to get a rise out of me doesn’t work on me
    Lol how did I twist your words that is exactly what you said?

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@ashlesha

Systemic racism refers to the way some now-old administrative structures for allocating resources in an area disadvantage some neighbourhoods more than others, and some groups more than others. It is termed systemic in part because it is impersonal, not "in your face".

Video using the example of 'red-lining' cities during urban planning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHIQIO_bdQ

In a nutshell, the city was subdivided into neighbourhoods designated more or less "good" (desirable to live in, to be invested in, to be preserved, etc.). This was done in the 1960s, if memory serves, and in a way closely correlated with the percentage of black residents. (I currently do not have info about the effects of such policies on others POCs.) A neighbourhood designated "good" had advantages: for e.g. a banker would check your address and use the 'quality' of your neighbourhood to decide whether to offer you a mortgage and at what rate. "Bad" neighbourhoods got fewer mortgages overall, and at worse rates, which residents spent longer repaying. Other disparities involve good distribution of public transport stops (e.g.: buses), grocery stores, and in one memorable example whether to build a highway across your neighbourhood.

The highway split that community in two and vastly decreased their quality of life (noise pollution, air pollution, harder to visit neighbours, kids might get run over). Obviously fewer people wanted to move next to a highway, which over time decreased property values. May also have consequences like fewer stops for public transports -> spend more time commuting/harder to get to job -> worse quality of life -> less time to argue with local admin about getting a better bus stop installed -> etc.

Some such disadvantages are also seen in rural vs urban areas, but that tends to not be called "systemic racism" because the phenomenon of cities sucking up resources and farmers/small towns being left to fend for themselves due to being far from, say, a big financial centre is seen as a separate dynamic with separate causes, even if the effects may look similar.
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    @ashlesha

Systemic racism refers to the way some now-old administrative structures for allocating resources in an area disadvantage some neighbourhoods more than others, and some groups more than others. It is termed systemic in part because it is impersonal, not "in your face".

Video using the example of 'red-lining' cities during urban planning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHIQIO_bdQ

In a nutshell, the city was subdivided into neighbourhoods designated more or less "good" (desirable to live in, to be invested in, to be preserved, etc.). This was done in the 1960s, if memory serves, and in a way closely correlated with the percentage of black residents. (I currently do not have info about the effects of such policies on others POCs.) A neighbourhood designated "good" had advantages: for e.g. a banker would check your address and use the 'quality' of your neighbourhood to decide whether to offer you a mortgage and at what rate. "Bad" neighbourhoods got fewer mortgages overall, and at worse rates, which residents spent longer repaying. Other disparities involve good distribution of public transport stops (e.g.: buses), grocery stores, and in one memorable example whether to build a highway across your neighbourhood.

The highway split that community in two and vastly decreased their quality of life (noise pollution, air pollution, harder to visit neighbours, kids might get run over). Obviously fewer people wanted to move next to a highway, which over time decreased property values. May also have consequences like fewer stops for public transports -> spend more time commuting/harder to get to job -> worse quality of life -> less time to argue with local admin about getting a better bus stop installed -> etc.

Some such disadvantages are also seen in rural vs urban areas, but that tends to not be called "systemic racism" because the phenomenon of cities sucking up resources and farmers/small towns being left to fend for themselves due to being far from, say, a big financial centre is seen as a separate dynamic with separate causes, even if the effects may look similar.
    Yeah, so the situation is obvious. Replot and rebuild all the sabotaged neighborhoods, consider forming programs to relocate the partitioned people. You've identified the problem, now we don't need to waste a decade more of oxygen murmuring about the irrepressible silent collossus of implicit bias - if a problem is psychological and distributed, then it's human nature itself and we can't correct it.

If DiScusSioNs oN RaCe in this idiot country OPENED with cases for this, instead of worthless platonic allusions to some vague struggle that began centuries ago, we might be on the road to fixing things.

Anything not concrete is a drain on time and energy and doesn't deserve the spotlight. This issue however is a concrete one. This is the discussion worth having.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are interested in what BLM truly stands for, and are willing to look past the emotion-baiting name of the movement: follow the money.

Millions are being donated to BLM. Look into who, or what, receives the brunt of the money. There you will find the god they worship.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    If you are interested in what BLM truly stands for, and are willing to look past the emotion-baiting name of the movement: follow the money.

Millions are being donated to BLM. Look into who, or what, receives the brunt of the money. There you will find the god they worship.
    hm. wise insight. do u have more info on this?

and most importantly, what is all the money being used for

Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-20-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    hm. wise insight. do u have more info on this?

and most importantly, what is all the money being used for
    Probably to screw the BLM-activists, and African Americans at large, over, but not before making them bent over voluntarily to take it up their 'USB ports'.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Probably to screw the BLM-activists, and African Americans at large, over, but not before making them bent over voluntarily to take it up their 'USB ports'.
    Barbara Reynolds, a veteran of the 1960s civil rights movement and an author, writes that many civil rights activists agree with BLM’s goals but “fundamentally disagree with their approach.” According to Reynolds, BLM uses “confrontational and divisive tactics” marked by boorish rhetoric and profanity, and rejects proven protest methods, which make it “difficult to distinguish legitimate activists from the mob actors who burn and loot.” Reynolds argues that while 1960s-era civil rights activists used “loving” and “nonviolent” means to win allies and mollify enemies, the BLM Movement uses “rage and anger.”

Reynolds argues that while “the civil rights movement valued all human lives, even those of people who worked against us,” BLM focuses too narrowly on “black pain and suffering,” shouting down “those who dare to utter ‘all lives matter.’” She argued that in order to “win broader appeal [the BLM Movement] must work harder to acknowledge the humanity in the lives of others.”

-
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-20-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm definitely convinced systemic racism exists. I've read enough on the topic. I don't believe you can have the sorts of inequities we have in this society without it being structural. I think the people who are least interested in acknowledging this tend to be the elites on the right. They try to pretend it isn't real because if it were real it would mean they'd have to change their worldview and their stories justifying their wealth and power to themselves. Elites on the left tend to pay it lip service often, but may now be persuaded to do a little more like throw some money at things and change some public symbols, but I think they know deep down that their class (elites) perpetuate inequity in the world more than any other, that their class has disproportionate sway upon the lives of billions of people (and it's not right). That truth is one they don't want the discussion to get too close to.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    I'm definitely convinced systemic racism exists. I've read enough on the topic. I don't believe you can have the sorts of inequities we have in this society without it being structural. I think the people who are least interested in acknowledging this tend to be the elites on the right. They try to pretend it isn't real because if it were real it would mean they'd have to change their worldview and their stories justifying their wealth and power to themselves. Elites on the left tend to pay it lip service often, but may now be persuaded to do a little more like throw some money at things and change some public symbols, but I think they know deep down that their class (elites) perpetuate inequity in the world more than any other, that their class has disproportionate sway upon the lives of billions of people (and it's not right). That truth is one they don't want the discussion to get too close to.
    I aim this not merely at you (replied mainly because you were the last poster), but everyone in this thread. At this time in my humble opinion, not just in the USA, but all across the western nations something similar in pattern to the Russian revolution of 1917 is happening. If one is intuitive, the similarities will be clearly apparent:

The Russian revolution: https://youtu.be/cV9G1QUIm7w I sincerely hope we learn from history & do not repeat it, even if human history is cyclical in nature. The road to hell is paved by good intentions, we should remember this and try to look at the situation in a more detached and sober way.

This thread imo also needs this reminder:

Last edited by SGF; 06-16-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    I aim this not merely at you (replied mainly because you were the last poster), but everyone in this thread. At this time in my humble opinion, not just in the USA, but all across the western nations something similar in pattern to the Russian revolution of 1917 is happening. If one is intuitive, the similarities will be clearly apparent:

The Russian revolution: https://youtu.be/cV9G1QUIm7w I sincerely hope we learn from history & do not repeat it, even if human history is cyclical in nature. The road to hell is paved by good intentions, we should remember this and try to look at the situation in a more detached and sober way.
    That video starts out with the massive suffering of the Russian people. It's not that they had a good thing and lost it. It's not that they paved a road to hell. It's that they were already in hell. I know less about other countries, but a lot of people in the US are in hell right now. Revolutions happen because the situation has become intolerable. The failings of the US system are that our supposed democracy is currently a plutocracy. The people are not sufficiently represented by their own government. We vote for corporations and their interests or wealthy people and their interests. They say they will throw us a bone or two but it is mainly all about them. I don't know what will happen but if the suffering of the people reaches too high a pitch the rest of the chaos to follow is inevitable. It's simply a sequence in a chain. I don't know if I believe violent revolutions will happen or not, but if they do, such things happen when a point is reached in which people just can't take it anymore. There's no way to prevent it other than fix the system before it comes to that. If a violent revolution occurs the system has already failed the people. That's what pushed them to revolution. Their alternative? Let that system continue to destroy them. They have nothing left to do but fight.
    Last edited by marooned; 06-16-2020 at 10:02 PM.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video starts out with the massive suffering of the Russian people. It's not that they had a good thing and lost it. It's not that they paved a road to hell. It's that they were already in hell. I know less about other countries, but a lot of people in the US are in hell right now. Revolutions happen because the situation has become intolerable. The failings of the US system are that our supposed democracy is currently a plutocracy. The people are not sufficiently represented by their own government. We vote for corporations and their interests or wealthy people and their interests. They say they will throw us a bone or two but it is mainly all about them. I don't know what will happen but if the suffering of the people reaches too high a pitch the rest of the chaos to follow is inevitable. It's simply a sequence in a chain. I don't know if I believe violent revolutions will happen or not, but if they do, such things happen when a point is reached in which people just can't take it anymore. There's no way to prevent it other than fix the system before it comes to that. If a violent revolution occurs the system is likely already broken.
    You are right, Russia was no sunshine and roses, however true hell really only came after the revolution. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a novelist who survived the humanity crushing system that came after the revolution, if you want to know and feel what it was like I recommend his books, they are quite good: https://www.amazon.com/Gulag-Archipe.../dp/1843430851

You are also right about there being many problems with the USA and the west in general, similarly to Russia back then.. however it can get much worse. As far as I know the US is a republic and republics are not democracies. The US is merely democratic aka you hold elections. A real democracy is what one would call a situation wherewhere the majority decides and the minorities have to accept the decisions. Democracies tend to not last if applied on a large scale, mainly would work for small settlements, like a village. They devolve into tyranny.. because ppl will eventually vote to take away the rights of the minorities. You see what secures your rights is force or power, without the will and power to enforce and defend your rights, you can lose them. You and I as individuals, we are at the mercy of whoever wields power.

The corporations are a problem, I agree. They siphon off skilled human resources from less developed nations through immigration, benefit from outsourcing, try to flood the labor market with unskilled labor so they can pay less to workers and have conned the environmentalist movement among many other moves such as spending resources to dictate politics, buy off the media, you name it... whatever increases short term profit at the long term expense of everything else it seems. To a corporate capitalist everything is a commodity.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right, Russia was no sunshine and roses, however true hell really only came after the revolution.
    How can you say that. They were out in the streets marching for bread. They didn't even have enough to eat. There was nothing else they could do. They were powerless and dying, and the only option left was to fight. And when the political systems that followed also failed the people they revolted again. Since they currently do have a democratic system in place, it seems this upheaval has at least improved the situation since 1917. I don't really have firm views on different systems, other than my general point that when the powers that be fail the people, revolution is inevitable. Those powers would be wise to not push people to the extremes of desperation for the sake of their own selfishness.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video starts out with the massive suffering of the Russian people. It's not that they had a good thing and lost it. It's not that they paved a road to hell. It's that they were already in hell. I know less about other countries, but a lot of people in the US are in hell right now. Revolutions happen because the situation has become intolerable. The failings of the US system are that our supposed democracy is currently a plutocracy. The people are not sufficiently represented by their own government. We vote for corporations and their interests or wealthy people and their interests. They say they will throw us a bone or two but it is mainly all about them. I don't know what will happen but if the suffering of the people reaches too high a pitch the rest of the chaos to follow is inevitable. It's simply a sequence in a chain. I don't know if I believe violent revolutions will happen or not, but if they do, such things happen when a point is reached in which people just can't take it anymore. There's no way to prevent it other than fix the system before it comes to that. If a violent revolution occurs the system has already failed the people. That's what pushed them to revolution. Their alternative? Let that system continue to destroy them. They have nothing left to do but fight.
    Russia's been a shithole as long as it was inhabited. Imperial era: shit-farming serfdom. USSR: rivers of blood and breeding men with chimps in labs. Federation: mob drug fuckhole. Life in Russia was never tolerable and unlikely ever will be. I pity them, but using them as a microcosm of the world is like using North Korea. It doesn't work.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread imo also needs this reminder:

Thats a cool illustration - which further illustrates still, nobody has refuted the central point; that systemic racism exists within the police force across the US, supported by statistical data (meaning intentionally going out of their way to kill/lynch black people, the accusation of BLM ).

In a nutshell,

in response people are arguing that
    1. systemic racism (in general by everyone) is real and affects everyone and that

2. its ok to destroy things because of this systemic racism, since we need to let things out and let nature take its course
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-17-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if this also applies to wealthy black athletes and artists (NBA, NFL, celebrities, etc). Are the organizations systemically racist against non-blacks?

What would you tell rappers like little wayne that think its bullshit?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    I'm wondering if this also applies to wealthy black athletes and artists (NBA, NFL, celebrities, etc). Are the organizations systemically racist against non-blacks?

What would you tell rappers like little wayne that think its bullshit?
    I don't see systemic racism as something that is about particular organizations, but interwoven throughout society (so it's kind of in every organization). It doesn't mean that black people cannot get ahead in society, only that it is more difficult for them because they have to overcome more obstacles. Regarding the NFL, it took its stance against Kaepernick because it feared it would lose money from those fans offended by his kneeling during the national anthem, therefore it blocked him and he lost his job. Racism plays into that because the majority of fans who would be offended by Kaepernick's statement are white. It was a racist move on the part of the NFL. I also see it as classist considering that his bosses were preventing his freedom of expression as though he is nothing more than a representation drone for their corporate image, not an individual in his own right. Anyway, obviously not every single black person in the world is going to agree systemic racism exists, and that's not special proof of anything. Never will every single human being hold the same position on a subject.
    @shotgunfingers I don't know what you're arguing about really. I don't want the US to become communist like USSR, China, or other countries. All the systems have killed a bunch of people, including capitalism.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see systemic racism as something that is about particular organizations, but interwoven throughout society (so it's kind of in every organization). It doesn't mean that black people cannot get ahead in society, only that it is more difficult for them because they have to overcome more obstacles. Regarding the NFL, it took its stance against Kaepernick because it feared it would lose money from those fans offended by his kneeling during the national anthem, therefore it blocked him and he lost his job. Racism plays into that because the majority of fans who would be offended by Kaepernick's statement are white. It was a racist move on the part of the NFL. I also see it as classist considering that his bosses were preventing his freedom of expression as though he is nothing more than a representation drone for their corporate image, not an individual in his own right. Anyway, obviously not every single black person in the world is going to agree systemic racism exists, and that's not special proof of anything. Never will every single human being hold the same position on a subject.
    @shotgunfingers I don't know what you're arguing about really. I don't want the US to become communist like USSR, China, or other countries. All the systems have killed a bunch of people, including capitalism.
    I can't comment on racism in the USA, because I'm East European and simply don't know.

I'm a LIE, possibly and I assume its just my Ne at work making sense of all the information I tend to consume. I hope the US isn't heading towards some kind of oppressive nightmare system worse than now, but it sure looks like it from my perspective.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't mean that black people cannot get ahead in society, only that it is more difficult for them because they have to overcome more obstacles.
    obstacles due to systemic racism i'm assuming... what are these exactly because people throw out these words without giving examples

Regarding the NFL,
    I mentioned NBA/NFL because they're obviously rich AF $$$. Most of the players in the organization are black - pretty much all of them. Its been this way for a while. Could you argue that the organization is systemically racist against white people or non-blacks?

Racism plays into that because the majority of fans who would be offended by Kaepernick's statement are white.
    Because they are white...Are you not allowed to disagree if you're white? What about the black fans that disagreed?

Isn't "because they are white" a racist statement in of itself?

It was a racist move on the part of the NFL. I also see it as classist considering that his bosses were preventing his freedom of expression as though he is nothing more than a representation drone for their corporate image, not an individual in his own right.
    A drone making hundred of millions of dollars. what???? lol

On June 4, Kaepernick signed a six-year contract extension with the 49ers, worth up to $126 million, including $54 million in potential guarantees, and $13 million fully guaranteed.

but yea, he's a football player being paid to play football, not run for president

Anyway, obviously not every single black person in the world is going to agree systemic racism exists, and that's not special proof of anything. Never will every single human being hold the same position on a subject.
    Lil Wayne when asked about BLM

"What is it? What do you mean?"

"It just sounds weird (the name "BLM"), I don't know, that you put a name on it. It's not a name. It's not whatever whatever. It's somebody got shot by police and for a fucked up reason."

He'd put all the puppets here to shame
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 06-18-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Intentionally going out of their way. Prove THAT.

Lol that's why I'm so annoyed by the idea that it's a feeling.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think George Floyd evoked a stronger outrage in large part because the cops couldn't say they were scared. Even with Tamir Rice, it could be excused because they thought he had a gun. (If you're unfamiliar with that story, he had a toy gun.) With Floyd, it obviously wasn't panic or anything and I think the casual nature of the lackadaisical killing on the video really popped the public.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I think George Floyd evoked a stronger outrage in large part because the cops couldn't say they were scared. Even with Tamir Rice, it could be excused because they thought he had a gun. (If you're unfamiliar with that story, he had a toy gun.) With Floyd, it obviously wasn't panic or anything and I think the casual nature of the lackadaisical killing on the video really popped the public.
    The thorough video coverage of George Floyd’s death was also easier to viscerally experience, and spread virally over social media compared to that case (social media is also bigger now and is constantly growing, and people have been at home and able to watch). Out of sight, out of mind.

Right now, people have nothing better to do than to watch.

Edit: Not to mention the economic conditions right now with the coronavirus, and how already disadvantaged people will be particularly affected, and a disproportionate amount of black people in America are already living in poverty (due to the same systemic racism).

The US had basically fully primed itself for riots like this to occur.
    Last edited by sbbds; 06-17-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If the US were attempting to head toward an "oppressive nightmare system" (i assume you mean something totalitarian) wouldn't dismantling the police be a step in the opposite direction? I'm not saying the US is going in the opposite direction, either. Just trying to follow the reasoning.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are significant advantages to a society in allowing the State to have a monopoly on violence, as long as that monopoly is not misused. I think the present system in the US allows misuse of force all too easily and without consequences.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I want to go back to my post about feelings having nothing to do with racism and I want to clarify because it's bugging me. Yeah obviously there are things unconsciously ingrained in the psyche and a person doesn't need to be explicitly kkk to carry racist preconceptions. But most of the anti blm stuff I'm exposed to by the people in social media circles i follow anyway are like, "you shouldn't have to feel like an inherently bad person for being white," and "you're not personally responsible for racism, you don't have to repent" stuff exacerbated by people taking the knee, lol. And I'm like ???
    Somehow I can see a fact like unarmed black people are more frequently shot by police than other races and not feel personally guilty and responsible? Am I being asked to? Where? Maybe it reflects kindly on some people that they take so much personally, because they feel accountable for so much even though nobody is asking them to do that. Maybe people should stop pointing out black people are killed by police a lot cuz it makes some white people feel attacked, and their feelings matter.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The looting and rioting was bad and also the reason for movement towards change. I wish writing nice letters would have been productive.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BLM is not stupid, yet some of their actions have been, yet maybe it's what's needed to be heard? IDK, I think Obama's example has been more productive to redeem the blacks in the US, yet here we are today...

I'd like to think that these riots will do good to the black cause but this stream of vandalism is leaving me a bit perplexed honestly

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have no idea what racism is really like, I suggest you refrain from commenting just because you have a “counterphobic” response to being for certain beliefs. Rather than trying to play devils advocate using meaningless and wildly inaccurate comparisons @shotgunfingers . You just make yourself seem racist, when the reality is that you’re clueless and bored and agitated.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lol people being explicitly racist to rebel against daddy is definitely a thing but sitting on your uncles lap instead doesn't mean you're thinking for yourself.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine being so dense that you can't connect the dots between systemic racism and a country that has had slavery, jim Crowe laws, redlining and mass incarceration targeteing minorties for private prison profits..

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer View Post
    Imagine being so dense that you can't connect the dots between systemic racism and a country that has had slavery, jim Crowe laws, redlining and mass incarceration targeteing minorties for private prison profits..
    I wasn't talking about systemic racism.. that's a different can of worms.

The point I wanted to make was that the riots are counterproductive and that the situation is dangerous with many potential negative outcomes.

I threw Fi into the garbage again and came off like a psychopath. I'm sorry..

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't talking about systemic racism.. that's a different can of worms.

The point I wanted to make was that the riots are counterproductive and that the situation is dangerous with many potential negative outcomes.

I threw Fi into the garbage again and came off like a psychopath. I'm sorry..
    I was referring to OP . I hadn't seen your post when I made mine lol.

Oh I marked the sbdds constructive. I'm on my phone and misclicked when I hit reply

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast