Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I feel like in general, if people are going to claim that sexual assault influenced their views like this, then they should be specific about what happened. As far as I know, JK just said it happened in her 20s at the hand of some opportunistic man, but she didn’t give any other details. I don’t feel sympathy for feeling too vulnerable to get into it in these cases. She said it played like a loop in her mind, so obviously she should remember what happened, but she didn’t bother to describe it. Just seems like non-impactful, possibly bs worthless info otherwise.
    I was getting the feeling that she has trauma from things like sexual assault and domestic violence from men, which a lot of women do, and it can lead to fearing men in certain contexts or being triggered by certain things, which sends someone through the PTSD trauma loop again. I don't understand what to do with this conceptually though because the issue is that JK Rowling sounds like she is perceiving at least some transgender women as men and referring to them as men, which is where the entire problem comes in, because that's denying their existence as women and this is at the heart of the entire mess since they are fighting for their right to live freely as their gender(s).

Unfortunately this just isn't a topic that can be understood without nuance and I feel like nuance is often missing, and even the word "nuance" is probably politicized now as the extreme right wing can use arguments about nuance to try to gain acceptance of bigotry (it's not bigotry, it's nuance!). They probably took the word from the left wing as I recall it being used a lot on the left to argue against bigoted views. Anyway, Twitter doesn't allow enough characters for nuance, and maybe that's why everything is 0 or 1.
    Last edited by marooned; 06-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    I was getting the feeling that she has trauma from things like sexual assault and domestic violence from men, which a lot of women do, and it can lead to fearing men in certain contexts or being triggered by certain things, which sends someone through the PTSD trauma loop again. I don't understand what to do with this conceptually though because the issue is that JK Rowling sounds like she is perceiving at least some transgender women as men and referring to them as men, which is where the entire problem comes in, because that's denying their existence as women and this is at the heart of the entire mess since they are fighting for their right to live freely as their gender(s).

Unfortunately this just isn't a topic that can be understood without nuance and I feel like nuance is often missing, and even the word "nuance" is probably politicized now as the extreme right wing can use arguments about nuance to try to gain acceptance of bigotry (it's not bigotry, it's nuance!). They probably took the word from the left wing as I recall it being used a lot on the left to argue against bigoted views. Anyway, Twitter doesn't allow enough characters for nuance, and maybe that's why everything is 0 or 1.
    I wasn’t replying to you btw. I agree with some parts of what you’ve said here though.

I was just saying that she should’ve been more specific about the abuse otherwise it sounds potentially dramatized or made up, IMO.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I wasn’t replying to you btw. I agree with some parts of what you’ve said here though.

I was just saying that she should’ve been more specific about the abuse otherwise it sounds potentially dramatized or made up, IMO.
    I didn't think she really needed to because sexual assault and domestic violence against women are so common. I don't know if it would help her case either way since she's saying why she is afraid of men and that's the crux of the criticism against her--treating transgender women as men.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    I didn't think she really needed to because sexual assault and domestic violence against women are so common. I don't know if it would help her case either way since she's saying why she is afraid of men and that's the crux of the criticism against her--treating transgender women as men.
    So common, yet she’s one of the few complaining, while possibly putting trans women in danger of abuse too from going into male bathrooms and triggering psychological turmoil of various groups due to her intolerance.

If she’s a celebrity and going to bother, she needs to take the extra step. Otherwise it doesn’t garner sympathy when it’s something easy (especially for a professional fantasy fiction writer) to just make up.