Thread: JK Rowling's Thoughts on Some Trans Activism

Threaded View

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    That she should be able to voice her thoughts without receiving a torrent of abuse is a perfectly reasonable expectation. It's important for the functioning of a free society that dissenting opinions are heard and debated. The visceral abuse she receives on social media directed at driving her away is toxic and, assuming that it's genuine, underscores everything that is wrong with the SJW movement.
    I want to qualify the above point: you can take this attitude too far by going on a counter-crusade against SJWs, as has happened time and again with the tedious and repetitive clash of SJWs vs. anti-SJWs.

I worked a job in retail, and I can assure you that people absolutely *love* to complain over the most trivial shit. They love to complain that you asked them not to complain. It would be better for our collective health, as a society, to let things slide, which means learning to ignore hecklers. Not every disagreement is an apocalyptic struggle where the other side is presumed to violate every sacred principle of liberty we hold dear.

It can't be good for people's sanity that our democracies are slowly turning into the Jerry Springer show.

EDIT: I'm not exculpating myself here, as I'm probably just as guilty of this for (say) going after Jordan Peterson. It's best to take a break from social media and channel all that reading energy into something worthwhile, like a book.
    Last edited by xerx; 06-17-2020 at 05:22 AM.