Quote Originally Posted by somnambulat0ry View Post
the bolded distinction is interesting and helps to rule out SLI typing - which was my kneejerk reaction (to your first typing thread)

A retired "potential SLI" in my life purchased a blood pressure monitor and a FODMAP breathalyser. results are recorded on a notepad; he'll make incremental adjustments to his diet or routine until he reaches a more desirable(less erratic) state of health.

another thing he's devoted to is model planes. In my eyes, a flight is successful if persistently airborne, yet he's tirelessly adjusting the location of the battery(so fiddly) or shaving off balsa wood here and there
...because there is always potential for improvement. He is all about turning his thoughts to real world actions, but would not be content with using brute force to get there.

PS: once he's done in the workshop he's back out in the field ASAP for a test flight, to see what else could be adjusted

You seem too zen, as shotgunfingers put it, to be an EJ type or LSE.
Yes, that's pretty typical SLI to me. One of my best friends is SLI and he's exactly like that. We both have cars as a hobby but we approach it completely differently. I always buy the most powerful and flashiest car I can afford and then tune it, until I can get an even better on to start with. He takes something that is pretty unassuming to start with but then keeps working on it and polishing all the little details for years to make it really special and to leave his own mark on it. He enjoys crafting things and making individual solutions with his own hands and disdains buying ready-made things. Whereas I only care about results and don't care about individuality or crafting things. I just buy the best thing available if I can afford it. The crafting part isn't interesting to me in that sense. He's had the same hobby car for 10 years, I've changed cars probably as many times during that time.

One other difference to SLI that I've observed is that they often enjoy cooking for other people, being proud of their culinary skills. I couldn't care less about that and could probably eat McDonalds Quarter Pounders every day if I had to and if it wasn't unhealthy (which I'm well aware of).