Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Unfortunately, many LIEs suffer from tunnel-vision (not as much as some Ips that I know but it can be significant), which can be both an asset and a weakness. LIEs don't seem to do well in the weeds and often don't pay enough attention to them; for them, failure seems to come from below and not from ahead where they usually have a clearer vision.

a.k.a. I/O
    I've known that I have a kind of tunnel vision for years, and I can tell you why LIE's in general have this.

LIE's excel at harnessing the things readily available right now to solve some problems in the future. As @sbbds said in chat, LIE's make things out of junk. These things aren't really new inventions, usually. That's the realm of the ILE's and the LII's. But they are usually common things used in a way that no one else has seen before. Or assembled into a new configuration that has far-reaching consequences.

Whenever you introduce something new to people, you get a very, very few early adopters and lots and lots of people telling you that you are crazy, that this thing is stupid and useless, that there is absolutely no market for this, etcetera, etcetera, and very often, the nay-sayers are right. They are "right" for the world as it is, not for the world as it could be.

So LIE's get this almost universally negative response to the main thing that they do, and if they listened to the nay-sayers, they would be frozen in their tracks. And so, an LIE will foresee a need for something, will consider all the reasonably conceivable approaches for how to accomplish the task, will pick the best course of action and will commit to it. And then they will stop listening to other people. At that point, the LIE says, everyone just needs to get with the program and stay on course.

This, of course, is where I have made some of my most stupid mistakes. Not listening to other people, not doing enough homework before committing, and not doing course-corrections after the stupid is glaringly obvious to everyone, including me. Of these three, I first started learning to do course corrections. Next, I started finding better counselors for deciding what resources need to be applied. The hardest thing for me to do is to listen to other people, especially if I want to do something and they are telling me that it doesn't make sense to do it.

When I catch myself doing this, if I catch myself doing this, it is a clear sign to me that I'm not thinking rationally about the problem, but it can totally, totally look like tunnel vision to anyone who is watching the process.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Whenever you introduce something new to people, you get a very, very few early adopters and lots and lots of people telling you that you are crazy, that this thing is stupid and useless, that there is absolutely no market for this, etcetera, etcetera, and very often, the nay-sayers are right. They are "right" for the world as it is, not for the world as it could be.
    Henry Ford once said: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'". Just food for thought; I'm not here to felate LIEs.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I've known that I have a kind of tunnel vision for years, and I can tell you why LIE's in general have this.

LIE's excel at harnessing the things readily available right now to solve some problems in the future. As @sbbds said in chat, LIE's make things out of junk. These things aren't really new inventions, usually. That's the realm of the ILE's and the LII's. But they are usually common things used in a way that no one else has seen before. Or assembled into a new configuration that has far-reaching consequences.

So LIE's get this almost universally negative response to the main thing that they do, and if they listened to the nay-sayers, they would be frozen in their tracks. And so, an LIE will foresee a need for something, will consider all the reasonably conceivable approaches for how to accomplish the task, will pick the best course of action and will commit to it. And then they will stop listening to other people. At that point, the LIE says, everyone just needs to get with the program and stay on course.

This, of course, is where I have made some of my most stupid mistakes. Not listening to other people, not doing enough homework before committing, and not doing course-corrections after the stupid is glaringly obvious to everyone, including me. Of these three, I first started learning to do course corrections. Next, I started finding better counselors for deciding what resources need to be applied. The hardest thing for me to do is to listen to other people, especially if I want to do something and they are telling me that it doesn't make sense to do it.

When I catch myself doing this, if I catch myself doing this, it is a clear sign to me that I'm not thinking rationally about the problem, but it can totally, totally look like tunnel vision to anyone who is watching the process.
    As a LIE (Ni) i can relate to this a lot!