Thread: How big is your current living space?

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My house is 21’ x 21’ square, two floors and a basement and an attic for storage. My garage is actually bigger.

The house isn’t what I would call too small or too large. It is big enough for a man and woman and one child, and is small enough to keep clean pretty easily. I spend a fair amount of time in hotel rooms, and I don’t mind small living spaces.

I have basically redone the electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, insulation, windows, and bathroom so they are to very high standards and work perfectly. The kitchen is next.

The best thing about the house is its location, which gives it value. The worst thing about the house is its layout, which is horrible but is dictated by size and function.

The house I grew up in is a white colonial, about 30’ x 45’, two floors, a basement and a walk-up attic, and all of its rooms are bigger than mine, so my house feels a bit cramped. I wish every room in my house were a bit larger, for a better “feel”. Because of the different locations, my house was appraised at three times the value of my parent’s house, so if I want to change location, I can get a much bigger house. If I want one. Location is important to me, though.

But I’d really prefer a more open plan house on about one to five acres on the outskirts of a University town, on a hill overlooking moving water, but I haven’t been motivated to find that place yet.

I could definitely live in a mini-house if it had some space outside. Mini-houses seem to be about as big as a hotel room, which is big enough to sleep in, eat, shower, fix a very small meal, and have a desk for writing. More important, actually, would be that it be free of drafts and have radiant heating and good lighting and sound-proofing and would require nearly zero maintenance.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 02-08-2020 at 03:32 AM.