Hybrid View

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by voider View Post
    I find it pretty hard to listen to myself when there's so much of the world around me. That was actually a big sign in my typing process. Lol.
    @ashlesha

https://www.dazeddigital.com/science...hology-science

An interesting tidbit is that some folks have an inner dialogue and others do not. Some people's thoughts are like sentences they "hear" or even "see" and some people just have abstract non-verbal thoughts, like pictures or rolling film, whereupon they have to exert effort to verbalize them. According to one study, only about 26% of people experience an inner dialogue.

I found this to be interesting:

“I feel like language limits,” says Annabel, a 29-year-old marketing campaign manager who works in London, and who believes she thinks outside of the ‘textual realm’. “If I was getting out of bed in the morning and thinking that I need to get up and get some coffee, I see the picture of the coffee cup.” These icons floating above her head plague her until the tasks they illustrate are complete: “When I've made the coffee and drank it, then it stops. It’s almost like a Sim.”There’s more complexity to this way of thinking, though: “It’s not just the next action. That would be really quiet.” Her head is awash with symbols, icons, and sensations all at once: “I get frustrated when I need to think for specific words for things. If I’m worried about something, I’ll see an exclamation mark pop up in my head, and that’s all the explanation I need.”

This seems like a very literal and direct way of visual processing, things aren't the same for all non-textual thinkers. For Elena, a PhD in linguistics at the University of Texas, her own inner language is a landscape of visual references that she has to strain to convert into the written or spoken word. It’s a world of associative imagery and metaphor, and is often overwhelmingly visceral – a blend of art, culture, fantasy, and personal experience.
    It sounds like she's describing introverted perception (perhaps iP leads), and I relate to this, to a degree; but I'm always extroverting my thinking, even if I don't voice it, which is why I always have an internal monologue going. And not for nothing, but I think my inner monologue has a mild form of Tourette's > "Move, BITCH" "Dumb." "STFU." 'NOPE." "Fuck outta here." are some of my faves. lol And I don't think in terms of text or words, but I hear them as my own voice talking inside my head. But if I say to myself (internally) that "I'm hungry," I might also visualize whatever it is I want, like a juicy, thick ass steak or something--there are times where I don't immediately have the words, and, instead, I just see symbols and metaphors and all that shit.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post
    @ashlesha

https://www.dazeddigital.com/science...hology-science

An interesting tidbit is that some folks have an inner dialogue and others do not. Some people's thoughts are like sentences they "hear" or even "see" and some people just have abstract non-verbal thoughts, like pictures or rolling film, whereupon they have to exert effort to verbalize them. According to one study, only about 26% of people experience an inner dialogue.

I found this to be interesting:

It sounds like she's describing introverted perception (perhaps iP leads), and I relate to this, to a degree; but I'm always extroverting my thinking, even if I don't voice it, which is why I always have an internal monologue going. And not for nothing, but I think my inner monologue has a mild form of Tourette's > "Move, BITCH" "Dumb." "STFU." 'NOPE." "Fuck outta here." are some of my faves. lol And I don't think in terms of text or words, but I hear them as my own voice talking inside my head. But if I say to myself (internally) that "I'm hungry," I might also visualize whatever it is I want, like a juicy, thick ass steak or something--there are times where I don't immediately have the words, and, instead, I just see symbols and metaphors and all that shit.
    Speech is always secondary to action/sensation/visualization for me. I'm mostly verbalizing to communicate to either myself or others. Take something like software programming, I don't really code in words, I code in some sort of metavisual language than translate it to C/C# syntax, I don't really have a syntax based way of thinking, it's more layers of stuff on other layers of stuff, it feels more like folding fabric or stitching diagrams than words.