Thread: PoLR versus ignoring, relating to Jung's original type descriptions

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    The Introverted Sensation type is the one that I had the most trouble comprehending when I read through that paper, largely because Jung did not describe it with any great clarity. Almost everything he says about the type is a description of how it devalues external objects, which is only one half of the picture, or of superficial behaviors associated with the type. He doesn't really get into the deeper mentality of the Introverted Sensation type or explain what, precisely, introverted sensation considered by itself actually is.
    I agree he doesn't do a great job describing this mentality, compared to the others... as we are all limited by our own minds, I wonder if this meant he had some issues processing Si himself. Or, it was the end of this chapter and he got lazy. That works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pixel View Post
    For instance, when shopping for groceries I understand the cashier has to smile, ask me if I found everything ok, say the words "how are you?" without actually asking the question, because it's social rule to be polite and have "good" customer service, but my default is to not really register that because I'm mostly focused on them ringing up my food so I can leave lol, and alot of that can get in the way of my goal, but I get all of it and why they have to do it.
    Thanks for the reply. I used to wait tables in high school and... yeah, I recognized the need to go along with social niceties as part of a customer service job, and would do so; had to convince myself I was an actress in a sense ("fake"). I guess it is fine as long as it's just there, something I *have* to do in some context, but to actually orient to it naturally, outside of that, it is tough to imagine. Just... how?

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    The attitude is not the opposite side of the coin, because rationality and irrationality are the separate domains. If you read Jung's exposition of Ne, he clearly states that sensation is the repressed aspect and not Ni. He also clearly states the problem of Ne as a dominant attitude is stuff like hypochondria, aka Si concerns. Yeah Fi ignores Fe and vice versa, but the two are not inverses of each other. Thinking and feeling are opposites and sensing and intuition are opposites.

Polr is not something Jung discussed as far as I know, because he never described the creative function, and the polr depends on that, not the dominant function.
    No, as far as I know, he did not mention it. I am trying to extrapolate somewhat and connect these two constructs... I may have used some sloppy terms there, admittedly.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by remiges View Post

Thanks for the reply. I used to wait tables in high school and... yeah, I recognized the need to go along with social niceties as part of a customer service job, and would do so; had to convince myself I was an actress in a sense ("fake"). I guess it is fine as long as it's just there, something I *have* to do in some context, but to actually orient to it naturally, outside of that, it is tough to imagine. Just... how?
    The best way I can explain it is the overall vibe of an atmosphere/environment. Men's locker room has a bro vibe, there are rules within the bro vibe, don't talk about your feelings, talk about sports/cars/girls. The vibe of a funeral, there are rules there, don't curse, don't laugh too loud, don't draw too much attention to yourself, don't wear white. This is all a part of Fe. And I think it's picked up by simply observing the environment, what is expected, rewarded, and punished, and you adjust yourself between those lines.

I guess the difference is you have to convince yourself that you were fake or an actress. While non Fe PoLR would just see it as accommodating people, and Fi ignoring would see it as a necessary bother if they had to do it for too long. There are times where I have used Fe and felt like I sort of violated my psyche for a second, like it was commiting a sin or something, acting in a way I totally never do and in a way that I am not. But there are times where I see Fe is an easy solution to the problem I am facing and I can use a bit of it to get out of the situation, those times do feel fake but also feel like I had no easier choice.
    Last edited by Lord Pixel; 01-21-2020 at 01:59 AM.