Thread: Yes, Jesus was born on Dec 25!

Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Christians don't know what year he was born in, nevermind what day.

His death and resurrection is supposed to be more important than his birth, but Christians don't know what year that happened either, nevermind the day. So why would they be expected to know when he was born?

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Christians don't know what year he was born in, nevermind what day.
    That's true.

The birthday of Jesus was chosen by the Catholic curch, but that's a long story to tell. Mankind don't know either the exact date or year of the birthday of Jesus.
    And there was a calender reform in 1582 (from Julian calender to Gregorian calender).

And having a christmas tree isn't a religious rite, it's a traditional event.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngelFireWolf69 View Post
    Long before Europe was invaded by Christians, the Germanic peoples celebrated winter solstice in honour of Odin - the Pagan God of wisdom, around the same date as Christmas.
    This is correct.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm on a computer without sound, so I didn't watch the video of the opening post. I know that one argument against His birth being in December is that the shepherds were out grazing their flocks that night, and they wouldn't do that in the winter. But my region is remarkably similar to Israel, and grass grows here in December and January moreso than in summer or autumn. So that's not a valid argument. But there may be valid arguments against that time of year based on timing of political events.

I don't think that culture put much importance on birthdays. Maybe they would say, "I was born in the summer of the second year of King Herod Antipas." And that would be their birthday. (Correct me if you know otherwise.)

Romans 14:5-6a says, "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it." This passage was referring to treating the Sabbath as holy, but it could be applied to other "holy days" (holidays) as well. So it's fine to treat a specific day as special unto God, but it isn't the day itself that's important.

Though I don't expect the Jews put much emphasis on their birthdays, they definitely treated their genealogy as important, and Paul said not to fuss about that either (1 Timothy 1:4).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche the Child View Post
    maybe it's about his spiritual birth
    No, because He wasn't born spiritually dead and thus didn't need a spiritual birth. He was never spiritually born, as He has no beginning and existed as spirit before being physically conceived. He enables our spiritual births.

Also John the Baptist's spiritual birth was before his physical birth, which is interesting.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.