Thread: Dietary Supplements (for optimal health)

Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    You could try cod liver oil. I have a bottle of Carlson cod liver oil soft gels, says per serving (2 gels): 20% rda of vitamin D (also 10% vit A, and 18% vit E plus EFAs) or if you can stomach the liquid form, then you can adjust dose however you want. Or you could eat more mushrooms. When they're exposed to sunlight they produce vitamin D like our skin does - so it depends on how they've been grown.
    Good suggestion.

I've noticed cod liver oil is a frequent suggestion at the Reddit supplements community, and the range of beneficial effects listed at examine.com (on the fish oil page) I think make it a high priority consideration. (I've been hesitant about it in the past because of reading about the bad effects of harmful varieties and of fish oil that has not been stored well - also because I felt I was doing quite well getting it from my normal diet).

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Good suggestion.

I've noticed cod liver oil is a frequent suggestion at the Reddit supplements community, and the range of beneficial effects listed at examine.com (on the fish oil page) I think make it a high priority consideration. (I've been hesitant about it in the past because of reading about the bad effects of harmful varieties and of fish oil that has not been stored well - also because I felt I was doing quite well getting it from my normal diet).
    I think cod liver oil is pretty pointless if you're already getting enough omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins. Cod liver oil is just liver fat from a cod. It doesn't have anything amazingly unique in it. It's healthy, but it's basically just a way to sell more cod by branding it as more special than it is, so do it if the price and effort seem worthwhile but don't feel compelled to since it's just fish liver fat.

Animals rarely make non-nutritive substances unlike plants. That makes sense, since plants mostly sit there and need to make substances to ward off their main would-be consumers, while animals can run, hide, and fight off anything that would like to eat them. I've heard of snake venom being extracted and repurposed, scorpion stingers being smoked, COQ10 pills made from jellyfish for old people's memory, and carmine dye in food comes from beetles, but that's about it.