I had big problems with psychology as a field - or so I thought - until I stepped into the self-help section of my local bookstore. When I arrived there I realized: "Man, what I'm confusing with psychology is really self-help!"

This now requires a definition: what is 'self-help?'

Think of self-help as Tony Robbins-esque stuff that is supposed to 'fix' your problems, but only does so by pandering to your sentiments through positive thinking.

I believe that there is a movement in psychology, such that instead of trying to fix one's problems using a practical approach, one has to change their behaviour through these self-help methods and techniques. What is the result? If you have a real problem, something like 'changing yourself before you change the problem' is simply not going to work... And this is the problem to me. I have noticed a lot of people in psychology have turned towards self-help instead of actually trying to fix one's problems. (I have also noticed this in certain places with spirituality.) To me, the results are shocking.

However, when I study 'real' psychology that has some practical value, the feeling is different: "Maybe this actually can help someone..."

Therefore, I would like your insight into this situation... Is psychology doomed with a 'self-help' approach... I would like to hear your insights...