Thread: Which types are most likely to hold onto sentimental clutter?

Lightbulb Which types are most likely to hold onto sentimental clutter?

- or be nostalgic people in general? is there any link? there might not be. I’m sure any type can be sentimental. But I’d imagine high Fi, Ni or Si might make individuals more prone to this. I saw a post earlier that said Se views objects with objectivity and Si attaches personal meanings to them - is this true in your experience?

Personally, although my feelings of nostalgia are very vague and fleeting (I definitely don’t get caught up in them and I’ve never been able to re experience emotions from my past - I’ve never experienced nostalgia as a sad feeling as most people describe it) I have a tendency to hoard random, useless objects as symbols of my life journey, and so that I can look at them in the distant future and see how far I’ve progressed. I really just see objects like these as representations of life stages. I keep old notes from friends, employee badges from each of my part time jobs and useless items like that.

I also go back to old movies, songs, video games et cetera when I want to vaguely “re live” a more joyful period in my life (so re-consuming the media I consumed during that time to get a kind of fuzzy feeling)

By contrast my mother (who I’m pretty sure is an ESI, though Im not nearly knowledgeable enough in Socionics to say for certain) has no qualms about throwing out objects from her past and usually tells me to do so to free up some space, she also rarely re-watches movies from her childhood.

Like I said there might be absolutely no link, sorry if this is a pointless question lol. I’m kind of just wondering how the people on here experience nostalgia.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have trouble getting rid of anything that's more than 7+ years old, but I definitely feel like it's weighing me down and keeping me fro having the curated, minimalist space that I'd like

TIM
    EII-1Ne 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume anyone with higher valued or dimensional Fi or Si.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not clutter.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm definitely sentimental but my sentiments changes. If you manage to piss me off enough or annoy me in whatever way, in reality Fi is hard to repair like that. How I feel about somebody is often not really set in stone idk. Things/interests are different and feel much more static. Like when I play Final Fantasy IV... I've must have played the game more than 100 times in my life and I still enjoy it the 103rd time. Yeah sure I don't like the Rosa character- but I love to dislike her more than I dislike to dislike her- and that's a huge difference. I suppose I like things better than I do people lolol.

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen SEIs, including my own brother (suspected of SEI), do this quite a bit. I could imagine it's a combination between Si and Fi.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine types with high sensory and ethical functions are the most likely to hold personal significance toward objects around them.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".