Hybrid View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    @Subteigh you seem to be a "I fucking love science" type along with @coeruleum. Pray tell me how you'd resolve the "replication crisis" currently plaguing that field? I am quite curious. And, if I may, the instant you think the universe has a "cause" of any kind? Congrats, you believe the universe is causal! For to say that A necessarily flows from/leads directly to B means you believe that causality exists and that existence must be in some way causal. Hence why I inquired as to what the somewhat effeminate armored one was/is smoking. Good shit is good shit, even if you found out about it from someone who hates your guts .
    It isn't a matter of loving science - I don't see any superior way of improving knowledge than the scientific method. (I suppose it is hard to argue against those who point out that as nothing about the physical world can be known for certain therefore "science" (as though it was some animate force) cannot be said to be more valid than other fields, other than to simply say that we get increasingly brilliant results.

I think that there is certainly an issue with research determined uninteresting not being published and with research from inadequate sample sizes being too frequently cited in the popular media. Ultimately, we should only believe something proportionate to the strength of the evidence that is available.

As I understand, if something is eternal, it does not have a cause. Causality may appear to exist within the universe, but we cannot infer anything outside the universe, including whether the universe had a cause.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It isn't a matter of loving science - I don't see any superior way of improving knowledge than the scientific method.
    Than I ask you to actually apply it, to stand by your own convictions in it. To acknowledge it openly as "your god" and to follow through on that assertion in having full faith and confidence in it. If you can, I will be both genuinely surprised and more than a bit happy for having done that you will, in time, come to see that faith in Jesus the Christ is indeed correct. Human reason leads to truth, God is truth, thus reason, uncorrupted by diabolic forces, will lead to faith in God. Sad to say, however, that we call him "the lord of this world" for a tragically good reason .

Case in point? The crisis I mentioned above. "Science" is a replacement faith for many. No wonder they bow to those "credentialed" asshats as if they were priests whom they think they are immune to things like dumptrucks full of money without a true spiritual foundation. Glyphosate is totally safe, safe enough to drink right out of the bottle say the experts! Scientists find adding Mercury to the vaccines to be beneficial to everyone's health! Epstein totally killed himself says the 22nd 11yr old coroner picked by the newly formed house committee fully comprised of former CIA assets!

I wish, wish, I was kidding here, truly I do. But I am not. Find yourself a real God dude, you'll be much happier once ya do. I recommend Jesus, but if you need a stint in some other faith I understand. Stop trying to please the lord of this world at the very least. He can only offer you misery and despair in the end.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Than I ask you to actually apply it, to stand by your own convictions in it. To acknowledge it openly as "your god" and to follow through on that assertion in having full faith and confidence in it. If you can, I will be both genuinely surprised and more than a bit happy for having done that you will, in time, come to see that faith in Jesus the Christ is indeed correct. Human reason leads to truth, God is truth, thus reason, uncorrupted by diabolic forces, will lead to faith in God. Sad to say, however, that we call him "the lord of this world" for a tragically good reason .

Case in point? The crisis I mentioned above. "Science" is a replacement faith for many. No wonder they bow to those "credentialed" asshats as if they were priests whom they think they are immune to things like dumptrucks full of money without a true spiritual foundation. Glyphosate is totally safe, safe enough to drink right out of the bottle say the experts! Scientists find adding Mercury to the vaccines to be beneficial to everyone's health! Epstein totally killed himself says the 22nd 11yr old coroner picked by the newly formed house committee full comprised of former CIA assets!

I wish, wish, I was kidding here, truly I do. But I am not. Find yourself a real God dude, you'll be much happier once ya do. I recommend Jesus, but if you need a stint in some other faith I understand. Stop trying to please the lord of this world at the very least. He can only offer you misery and despair in the end.
    It isn't strictly a matter of "loving" science and things associated with science such as nuclear bombs and so on (which I may well do). It is a matter of following what I believe to be true. I don't "have" to love it, unlike Christians having to love "God". It is a big mistake to mix up truth with aesthetic choices. Faith is also contrary to the spirit of establishing the truth. Faith stops reason, it stops questions. ("I once asked the Lord why so many people are confused and He said to me, 'Tell them to stop trying to figure everything out, and they will stop being confused.' I have found it to be absolutely true. Reasoning and confusion go together." ~ Joyce Meyer).

I rejected the god of the bible when I was about 7 for aesthetic reasons, as I objected to the use of genocide and torture. The lack of evidence for this god was of lesser importance.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It isn't strictly a matter of "loving" science and things associated with science such as nuclear bombs and so on (which I may well do). It is a matter of following what I believe to be true. I don't "have" to love it, unlike Christians having to love "God". It is a big mistake to mix up truth with aesthetic choices. Faith is also contrary to the spirit of establishing the truth. Faith stops reason, it stops questions. ("I once asked the Lord why so many people are confused and He said to me, 'Tell them to stop trying to figure everything out, and they will stop being confused.' I have found it to be absolutely true. Reasoning and confusion go together." ~ Joyce Meyer).
    I recommend the works of Soren Kirkegaard to you. Read some of his stuff, way better than that Joyce character you seem to admire.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend the works of Soren Kirkegaard to you. Read some of his stuff, way better than that Joyce character you seem to admire.
    Wow, someone is being intentionally dense, thinking a skeptic finds reasoning confusing and talks to God in his head!

Never mind that @Subteigh has read nearly everything already.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Kierkegaard is terrible. No one should fear a just being. No one should believe something contrary to what reason tells them to be true - is that even really possible?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kierkegaard is terrible. No one should fear a just being. No one should believe something contrary to what reason tells them to be true - is that even really possible?
    Kierkegaard is why religion nowadays is so terrible. You reminded me that ages ago I read a blog from a Catholic (they're actually not all insane and I apologize for being like "What's a ridiculous parody of religion in real life? How about Catholicism!" based on knowing only insane ones personally) criticizing Kierkegaard for changing the whole way religion is discussed in culture from being about 1. going to church/group membership and 2. reason, morality, etc. and replacing it all with a psychological ridiculous drama. I still wouldn't want to be a Christian, even a Unitarian, in a pre-Kierkegaard world since I don't see the point personally, but I would have a lot more respect for them in general, and even have more respect for the outright bad ones oddly.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COOL AND MANLY View Post
    Good luck to you and your future offspring then. I hope you live up to your promise.

Like I said, I'm way beyond whatever religion preaches. I don't believe in having a moral authority that guides me. It's insulting to me to think of myself that way. I'm way more prideful for that. So yeah.

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts though.
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Promises like this aren’t hard to keep unless one doesn’t truly walk with God.

I preach no religion. The robotic practices of being in religion get in the way of having authentic relationship with God.

We all have pride to some degree, but don’t let it be the deciding factor in your life. That goes for Christians and non Christians alike.

Your belief in your unverifiable truths is outstanding. I mean you are entitled to have these beliefs, but don’t trick the masses by calling your beliefs, reason. My best wishes to you.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Investigator View Post
    Your belief in your unverifiable truths is outstanding. I mean you are entitled to have these beliefs, but don’t trick the masses by calling your beliefs, reason. My best wishes to you.
    What do you mean by unverifiable? Is there such a thing as a verifiable truth? Which beliefs do you refer to?

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Investigator View Post
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Promises like this aren’t hard to keep unless one doesn’t truly walk with God.

I preach no religion. The robotic practices of being in religion get in the way of having authentic relationship with God.

We all have pride to some degree, but don’t let it be the deciding factor in your life. That goes for Christians and non Christians alike.
    Lol, did you just take everything I said literally? This isn't a showdown. I was trying to be nice.

I also love how you are still trying to preach/debate when I said I don't care about god. It makes your words look empty. I'm already feeling sorry for your kid. Haha. I'm hoping you are still young though and you will get over yourself eventually.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ok, fearing a "Just" being. Let us suppose there is a verifiable "God of Justice". It exists, everyone's aware of it. Now tell me, are you totally and completely OK with going before it and asking it to "judge" your life and your works? Are you totally and completely without any "fear" of that prospect? Note: You are not fully aware of/are in fact incapable of comprehending what true "justice" is. You have an idea yeah, but you also know that the idea you have is finite and has no comprehension of the infinite that only a "god" (that you most certainly are not and can never be) can grasp in such a way as to make this a "logical" decision.

You might be able to make a "leap of faith" and it may well work out well for you, but it was just that, a leap of faith. By the way, I read a fictional story recently that basically has this very question as its plot. Guess the author and story and I'll be quite surprised .

A humble request from me: Read the Book of Job beginning to end, then come back to me with your thoughts. I am most curious.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, fearing a "Just" being. Let us suppose there is a verifiable "God of Justice". It exists, everyone's aware of it. Now tell me, are you totally and completely OK with going before it and asking it to "judge" your life and your works? Are you totally and completely without any "fear" of that prospect? Note: You are not fully aware of/are in fact incapable of comprehending what true "justice" is. You have an idea yeah, but you also know that the idea you have is finite and has no comprehension of the infinite that only a "god" (that you most certainly are not and can never be) can grasp in such a way as to make this a "logical" decision.

You might be able to make a "leap of faith" and it may well work out well for you, but it was just that, a leap of faith. By the way, I read a fictional story recently that basically has this very question as its plot. Guess the author and story and I'll be quite surprised .

A humble request from me: Read the Book of Job beginning to end, then come back to me with your thoughts. I am most curious.
    Kierkegaard is stupid. You're just afraid of people with more developed intellects than yours, so you think wanting to understand what God does, if possible, would be Satanic. Your supposed church, Catholicism, is the one with official miracles approved by councils of scientists, so I'd have thought you'd be opposed to such nonsense as intentional self-delusion.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you also know that the idea you have is finite and has no comprehension of the infinite that only a "god" (that you most certainly are not and can never be) can grasp in such a way as to make this a "logical" decision.
    I've been doing calculus since 5th grade, so I'm a god, sweet. @Subteigh, do you know how to be a god too, and would you like me to try to teach you?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If a being is absolutely "Just", they will take into account the exact nature of my situation and proportionately determine the extent to which I am culpable for my actions. So yes, I would be totally and completely OK with their judgement.

A leap of faith has absolutely nothing to do with it. I cannot act better than my own inclination except by accident, and I cannot force myself to believe something contrary to my inclination. Doing things contrary to what I believe to be true would rather be a leap of faith. If I don't follow my own conscience and senses, I certainly cannot trust myself to do the right thing.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Book of Job is the "only" book in the bible where Lucifer kills anyone, and "only" with Yahweh's permission. (In Jewish thought of the time, Lucifer was literally the devil's advocate, an agent of Yahweh designed to test people's faith: it was later Christians who made him out to be an enemy of Yahweh).

What can I say? Knowing you can prevent evil but then choosing not to do so is the definition of "evil" for me - but only an omnipotent being could truly "Know".

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've pointed this out before but I'll do it again here. There is a story by Jack Vance that really illuminated this point for me. If you don't want to read his stuff and find the story I'm referencing in doing so but I"ll spell it out in order for you to "get it" as it were. Two people who are quite desperate for damn good reason get two options, either prostrate themselves before some asshole wizard or a literal God of Justice. They choose to gamble on the later. The being giving them that choice notes how rare/stupid it is that those given the choice gamble on the later choice given how, well, likely that "God" is going to fuck them over so very very hard.

I doubt you'll get why that story stuck with me as hard as it did but I do welcome you opinion on this matter if/when you get around to reading it. It's a good one, and I'd hope we all share our top stories with each other.

After all, this ain't a "pay to win" site like Amazon has sadly become...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've pointed this out before but I'll do it again here. There is a story by Jack Vance that really illuminated this point for me. If you don't want to read his stuff and find the story I'm referencing in doing so but I"ll spell it out in order for you to "get it" as it were. Two people who are quite desperate for damn good reason get two options, either prostrate themselves before some asshole wizard or a literal God of Justice. They choose to gamble on the later. The being giving them that choice notes how rare/stupid it is that those given the choice gamble on the later choice given how, well, likely that "God" is going to fuck them over so very very hard.

I doubt you'll get why that story stuck with me as hard as it did but I do welcome you opinion on this matter if/when you get around to reading it. It's a good one, and I'd hope we all share our top stories with each other.

After all, this ain't a "pay to win" site like Amazon has sadly become...
    No one can tell if someone is a "God of Justice" if they are capable of any action - that is no choice at at all.