Hybrid View

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's strange to say that people cannot know God. There are people who have had strong inner revelations and callings. If you have an experience of an inner ultimate spiritual authority that will change the course of your life, then who are we to say that this wasn't God?

Of course some will always say that it was just imagination. But if this "imagination" had that strong impact on you, labelling it like that is not gonna change the basic fact of the experience.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 10-26-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post

Of course some will always say that it was just imagination. But if this "imagination" had that strong impact on you, labelling it like that is not gonna change the basic fact of the experience.
    This was nicely explored in the movie "Contact", where the protagonist, a firm atheist, went on a Journey into outer space, yet when she returned home could not prove she went anywhere. Her rationality broke down and it was shown that it didn't matter or not if she had in fact went anywhere, it was that she was given such a powerful personal experience of her own revelation, that proving it scientifically was now beyond necessity anymore.

This character is ENTj btw.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's strange to say that people cannot know God. There are people who have had strong inner revelations and callings. If you have an experience of an inner ultimate spiritual authority that will change the course of your life, then who are we to say that this wasn't God?
    ...Who are we to say that it was God? I think saying that it was in fact God, and saying that you believe in God are two different things.

The strength of a conviction does not necessarily make it more true.

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    This was nicely explored in the movie "Contact", where the protagonist, a firm atheist, went on a Journey into outer space, yet when she returned home could not prove she went anywhere. Her rationality broke down and it was shown that it didn't matter or not if she had in fact went anywhere, it was that she was given such a powerful personal experience of her own revelation, that proving it scientifically was now beyond necessity anymore.
    Kind of funny how a moment ago were saying that we should rely on "data", now you're saying that we should rely on "experience".

I wouldn't say her "rationality broke down", that's actually kind of a disturbing way to put it. It was more that she had a strong belief or a faith in aliens existing, but she couldn't "prove" it. And it's this faith that drives her.

I think that's kind of the point of emotions. It doesn't really have any kind of rationale for it existing, but it exists for the sole purpose of driving you into an action.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    ...Who are we to say that it was God? I think saying that it was in fact God, and saying that you believe in God are two different things.
    I'm just saying that there are inner experiences that match what one can call God. Belief has nothing to do with it.

The strength of a conviction does not necessarily make it more true.
    It's not a conviction. You didn't understand my previous post. You can make a loose comparison to falling in love. It's also not a conviction and needs no proof. It's an inner power that sort of holds you in its grip.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)