Thread: Logically rationalize God

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If God exists, he's either a powerless wimp or an evil demon. There's too much crazy stuff out there to believe that an omnipotent God is some wise, benevolent entity.
    Last edited by xerx; 09-01-2019 at 06:02 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    If God exists, he's either a powerless wimp or an evil demon. There's too much crazy stuff out there to believe that an omnipotent God is some wise, benevolent entity.
    Not really. There's this thing people forget about "God" (at least if we're talking about the Deity of Christianity). God *is* love. He loves you, me, that gray alien on Epsilon Segmentum Obscurus, etc. The key thing everyone just keeps overlooking is that he is also Justice.

Take the true and eternal love out of that equation. Imagine an entity, a deity, of only pure justice, of pure and omnipotent "law" sans any form of "morality" or "compassion" as we would understand it made manifest. Now imagine asking that thing what you deserve (or rather, not being given a choice in regards to having to ask that question of it). If you're not absolutely terrified at the prospect of that reality than you're either a narcissist, a saint, or a total idiot with a complete lack of imagination to boot and as saints are quite rare that kinda narrows it down.

Thankfully, for Christians like me, God is both so we have nothing to truly fear. Further argument on this front will, I regret in jest, require you to pass the Witch test. Key thing to remember about that is that you need not mean a word you type. Hell, you can even ask me to type words I won't mean for shit (i.e. ask me to say/type out the creed of another religion). Save, of course, for anything that hails the prince of this world and/or rejects God. After all, many a martyr were asked to do just that and they gave the correct answer. I will follow in their example.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Not really. There's this thing people forget about "God" (at least if we're talking about the Deity of Christianity). God *is* love. He loves you, me, that gray alien on Epsilon Segmentum Obscurus, etc. The key thing everyone just keeps overlooking is that he is also [B]Justice.
    Respectfully, I disagree. I don't see how a three year old child dying from cancer deserves that fate. An adult with free will being served justice, I can accept, but the wisdom and benevolence of this self-appointed "judge," I just don't see it.

EDIT: I suppose one could conjure up some ad-hoc explanation: the little kid might be a Philosophical Zombie; this might all be part of some larger plan which we don't understand; etc. Regardless, I can't force myself to believe ad-hoc claims at face value without evidence.
    Last edited by xerx; 09-05-2019 at 04:21 PM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. I don't see how a three year old child dying from cancer deserves that fate. An adult with free will being served justice, I can accept, but the wisdom and benevolence of this self-appointed "judge," I just don't see it.

EDIT: I suppose one could conjure up some ad-hoc explanation: the little kid might be a Philosophical Zombie; this might all be part of some larger plan which we don't understand; etc. Regardless, I can't force myself to believe ad-hoc claims at face value without evidence.
    The kid’s a sinner and deserves worse than death — eternal mindwarping torture, in fact. So does everyone else — babies, kids, saints, your neighbor Mike. That’s why you have to be eternally grateful and submissive to God for allowing a privileged few to escape this fate they so richly deserve.

Calvinism’s a hell of a trip, but that’d be your justification for the kid dying. Ain’t it beautiful in its elegance?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Not really. There's this thing people forget about "God" (at least if we're talking about the Deity of Christianity). God *is* love. He loves you, me, that gray alien on Epsilon Segmentum Obscurus, etc. The key thing everyone just keeps overlooking is that he is also Justice.

Take the true and eternal love out of that equation. Imagine an entity, a deity, of only pure justice, of pure and omnipotent "law" sans any form of "morality" or "compassion" as we would understand it made manifest. Now imagine asking that thing what you deserve (or rather, not being given a choice in regards to having to ask that question of it). If you're not absolutely terrified at the prospect of that reality than you're either a narcissist, a saint, or a total idiot with a complete lack of imagination to boot and as saints are quite rare that kinda narrows it down.

Thankfully, for Christians like me, God is both so we have nothing to truly fear. Further argument on this front will, I regret in jest, require you to pass the Witch test. Key thing to remember about that is that you need not mean a word you type. Hell, you can even ask me to type words I won't mean for shit (i.e. ask me to say/type out the creed of another religion). Save, of course, for anything that hails the prince of this world and/or rejects God. After all, many a martyr were asked to do just that and they gave the correct answer. I will follow in their example.
    If "God" is absolutely just, then no one has anything to fear.